1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where do I fit? Domestic and international experience, secondary and primary (sort of)...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrshamone, Jun 15, 2019.

1. mrshamone

mrshamone New commenter

Hello, .

I have had a fairly unique career path so far but am a career educator. I started out as a Secondary Media and English teacher in London where I had a TLR as Head of Media (from my second year until I left) and was there for 7 terms. I had always wanted to live in another country and after completing 2 years in my first post took a job teaching English in Japan as that was the country at the top of my list. It was the first job I saw and applied for and it was a fun learning experience but was not very professional and had no future. I wasn’t ready to leave Japan and joined an international preschool as a K3 teacher (5-6yrs) having really enjoyed teaching younger learners in the previous year. I have been working for the same school for 10 years as a teacher, manager, trainer, recruiter and marketer so have accrued lots of skills over that time.

I have felt it is time to move on for a year or two now and am considering a return to the UK or another international school but I’m not sure where I may fit! I’m happy teaching any age group but I’m most interested in returning to the secondary level.

I have a good overall knowledge of the educational process from 18 months upwards and a lot of ESL knowledge too. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice about my suitability for either secondary or primary roles, HOD etc? How I may be viewed having not taught at secondary level for 10 years?

I’d also be very interested to hear about any experiences of moving with a family between nations and all that entails.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Hi. Returning to Sec after a decade? Umf. In the last 10 years Secondary education has undergone 3 different GCSE changes, 4 different Ofsteds, the EBacc, massive cuts, and a real crisis in recruitment. I cannot comment on Primary - others on here are better informed.

I would consider a post as EAL teacher - large Secondaries in London in diverse communities do have EAL departments. Or if you want to come back to teach English, your best bet would be to apply as a classroom practitioner and go back up the ladder. Or, you could consider the private sector.

Piranha and phlogiston like this.
  3. mrshamone

mrshamone New commenter

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I wouldn’t go back to London or a major city, getting a bit older now and I’m more interested in a town in the countryside. In my previous school we had an EAL dept. and I’m sure I could be very useful in that role or supporting those with low literacy.

Surely English is still reading books and poems mostly isn’t it, regardless of the exam changes? I realize I would need to undergo some retraining so would likely seek out some supply work after some work shadowing. My specialization is in Media and I am currently working in marketing for my international school so have a lot current experience in advertising and media production and would certainly like to pursue that also. Is Media taught in many schools these days, to your knowledge? I’m sure it must be integrated with English given that children are massively exposed to it?

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I doubt you'll get many media jobs in a country school. I've only known of one school I've worked in that had a separate media dept and it was in London.

As for English still being books and poems, it is to my knowledge. You might be better off posting on the subject forums as you have specific questions.