1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where DO babies come from?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, May 15, 2018.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

More importantly, it would appear, where do Thai babies come from? Wherever it is there must be a great many of them in the pipeline if the building and opening of ornately named schools here is anything to go by. In the past year we have had a school with odd shaped balls, and a college from the south coast opening we now look forward to a beef dish school and girls school from North London opening as well as an overspill from the Salopian establishment down by the Klong.

I know that one of these schools has already been blackballed by their more established brethren for offering "sweeteners" to try to lure children away, much like that odious man in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, they failed and are now in deep trouble.

Seriously though, I guess that these people must have done some sort of research but I do wonder if the pot is big enough as it were especially with the already established big hitters......time will tell I guess.

Not long to go now.....

Perce

grdwdgrrrl and schmedz like this.
  2. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

The old boots seem to be in a bit of trouble generally.....

englishdragon and percy topliss like this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Here in and around Shanghai the new Bilingual Schools will need several thousand students to fill all the empty desks next year and thousands more the year after.

But its not just the students in short supply its also where are all the teachers going to come from? At least 200 new western educated staff needed to stand at the chalkface.

Not to mention the 1000 extra Chinese teachers required to be at chalkface.

A second South Sea Bubble on its way?

percy topliss likes this.
  4. strangefish32

strangefish32 New commenter

Percy, even some of the more established ones are offering sweeteners, not seeking student references or reports from the schools they are luring families from, or dropping the lucrative joining fee to entice more to join. It's a cut-throat market in Bangers at the moment, big, brash new buildings everywhere and lots of pressure to get bums on seats to justify the cost of those buildings. Something's got to give eventually.

englishdragon and percy topliss like this.
  5. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

@strangefish32 I would be interested to know which ones.......we could use them in our advertising as places not to go to...

6. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I heard the bloke with the odd shaped balls likes sweetener. Several schools in this area refused coffee dates after hearing about this. The animosity seems to be ongoing as I have yet to see said person at any coffee dates up until now.

7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

When a mummy and a daddy love each other very much....

rosiecg likes this.
  8. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Just my thoughts on China:
    No more 1 child policy + more rich in the child-bearing population = more birth tourism = more local children with foreign passports.

It's very obvious at my school that pretty much the majority of children (80%?) in early years and KS1 is the result of children born to Chinese parents but with American/Australian/Hong Kong... passports.

Teachers will always be available. There will always be someone young and naive enough that is happy to work for the absolute minimum.

Who cares about education, eh? As long as the fees are paid and teachers earn as little as possible the big bosses are happy.

makhnovite likes this.
  9. amysdad

Yeah, but as others said, something's gotta give - and the first is likely to be the quality of the education. When the parents can't get their kids into Ivy League / Russell Group universities because their grades are cack or the schools' reputation becomes known, then they'll start to kick off. Next comes the business plan - when the UK based schools like the egg-chasers realise the damage that is done to their name when the Mail or the Telegraph run the story, then they'll start to pull out. Meanwhile, the smart locals will still look to where the remaining few foreigners send their kids, and do the same.

So in a few years time, we'll be back to where we are now - with a few schools dominating in Beijing and Shanghai, and the others either gone or going.

10. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

At some point in time, the smart Chinese will also realize they can board their children in a first tier 'British International School Wherever' (outside of China) for less than the cost of sending them to a for-profit 'rent-a-name' school in their home town. Many of these parents will quickly see the advantages, and when the kids come home for holidays, they will see the huge comparative difference in spoken English, subject content knowledge, resilience and behaviour.

This is a hidden market that first tier 'British International School Wherever's could really exploit. And once this happens, I think places like the hopeless international kingdom sad values school in Tianjin will be impacted immensely. @amysdad, I expect many smart locals will look to send their kids to schools which deliver results, both inside and outside China. Three or four hours flight from major Chinese cities yields a wide choice of first tier 'British International School Wherever'.

11. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

12. february31st

Firstly the regulations on employing foreign teachers will need to be relaxed by including Filipino's as "native" English speakers, just like the South African qualified teachers! Maybe the shortage of suitable "western" qualified teachers willing and able to work in China has forced this concession from the visa issuing authorities.

Many Chinese and Asian Parents will complain if they find a Filipino teacher in the classroom, just saying this is the way it is in China.

The average cost of employing Filipino teachers is 1200USD/month, compared with 3600USD for "western" qualified teachers.

By "western" qualified I mean someone who has obtained a 3 year degree in a Native English Speaking country including South Africa.

13. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

ahhh...are South Africans back on the list as English speaking then? We lost what was probably a great teacher due to that rule.

14. february31st

Here in Shanghai I have meet several South African qualified teachers who arrived this year. The Law of Supply and Demand must have kicked in with the current teacher shortage. Now it looks like the teacher/skilled worker shortage is going to be filled with 100000 Filipinos.

You can see the western expat population shrinking by the day here in Shanghai. One indicator been the Chinese landlords are dropping the rents of apartments, even to existing tenants so not to lose their income. Expat schools in panic over the low number of new students replacing ones leaving.

15. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

AAAAHHHHHGGGG!!!!

16. amysdad

@englishdragon I think though that travelling for many Chinese who don't have a foreign passport is still difficult, and I also get the feeling that the family demands placed on the kids' parents by their grandparents (particularly of the one-child policy generation) is still huge, so while I know that is happening it's not going to be a huge number. I know there are already a large number who go to US boarding schools, and one way that the UK schools could counter would be to set their fees at a level below that of their UK-based school, making it more competitive. I also know of one particular school in Shanghai, a well-known name, which is struggling to fill its classrooms.

And yes, while the cheapness of Filipino teachers will appeal to some schools, others will be smart enough to realise it could be a false economy.

17. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Please, no!
    I've been noticing all those job adverts for new schools as well. It is distressing. Even if there's plenty of local kids to fill the classrooms, what about the balance of EAL vs. fluent/near-native/native English speakers?
    I already work in a place that takes anyone regardless of the balance of the classroom. There's not enough support, the students don't progress and the teachers are frustrated.

18. february31st

Well soon to add their names to Chinese schools, Uppingham, Merchiniston, Fettes, Vanke, BASIS, Malvern, Garden, Lucton and St AlBans all to open in a city in China next September.

spanboy likes this.
  19. tjh102

tjh102 New commenter

The odd shaped ball down near Pattaya seems to be getting the enrolments, though. I was told they are trying to rrcruit an extra 3 or 4 teachers, because there are over 150 more kids than predicted signed up for next year.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  20. tjh102

tjh102 New commenter

I do not miss that school in the least! And the temporary students that come for six weeks with no English and we were expected to drop everything just to do one to one with them!

I assume there will be a mass exodus from the qualified teachers this year!