1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where did the last 55 years go?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Mar 12, 2018.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Just did the Beatles Liverpool tourist thingy this weekend at the invitation of our eldest granddaughter who is studying art there. We visited the Caven Quarter but did not go into the Caven Club itself, as we didn't have time. Been there before though. Varying stories about how genuine it is though, but who cares? Absolutely packed out along Matthew street and in all the adjacent pubs which opened on to it!

Did The Beatles Story (museum) at the Albert Dock. Excellent, --- though of course my generation know the whole story back to front, but good displays and audio guide.

Then we went on The Magical Mystery Tour coach trip to see where the Fab Four and Brian all lived and heard stories about them -- again all of which I knew about of course! Funniest thing in the street where George lived. The coach stops nearby and we walked 25m to the cul-de-sac down a small lane. As we were looking at the front door of George's old house a woman came out of one of the neighbours houses in a 60's pattern dressing gown, 60's slippers (I can recognise these things with my 60'sdar) and most iconicly, smoking a fag and with 60's curlers in her hair. She was either a plant in character of the 60's for the benefit of the tourists or she was a fashion throwback who really dressed like that. You couldn't ask of course because it would have been so rude to have got it wrong.

We went down Penny Lane with the barber shop, the bus shelter, the fire station (which was not in Penny Lane by the way but around the corner) and we went on to Strawberry Fields. And lots more. Got pictures of ourselves at all the places. Great! Of course we had Beatles songs in between our guides narrative and were encouraged to sing along to them. I was complemented for knowing all the words -- of course!

And all the while though, I'm thinking --- What are all these kids doing here. It is our culture -- Not theirs! We were the peers of the Beatles. We were the ones who discovered them, listened to them on the Pick of the Pops top twenty, Sunday afternoon, watched and listened to Ready Steady Go (the weekend starts here!) and the NME poll winners concerts! They were -- No, -- are - ours, not theirs!!

I never saw the Beatles live, (my elder sister did) but I did see The Foremost at a dance at the Hereford Teacher Training college where we used to go to meet young ladies. (The Foremost were in the Epstein stable along with the Beatles, Cilla Black et al. They were utterly brilliant and probably the best four piece guitar band I have ever seen, to date!

But the main thing that occupied my thoughts was that it all seemed just like yesterday. I was back in my youth with my ambition, -- my discovery of all the wonderful things grown ups are allowed to do. --- my fears and vulnerability carefully kept hidden. Even though it was over half a century ago -- three, or four even, generations ago!, it is still so fresh in my memory. Many things have happened to me following, but the Beatles and all the attendant pop rock culture are still there, clearer than much of what has happened in between.

Rock on John, Paul, George and Ringo. Rock on!! I've had a great time and done lots of fun and interesting things, -(some of which I regret but most of which I don't)- between then and now. You may have been just four wandering minstrels of no real contribution to Human kind other than mere frill, froth and entertainment, but you were there in my teenage formative years and somehow you are very important in mine and others lives. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

3. angiebabe

angiebabe Occasional commenter

What a brilliant post. I’m with you all the way :).

Shedman, TCSC47, Dragonlady30 and 2 others like this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

What a lovely, eloquent and uplifting post on this miserable wet Monday morning. :)

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The modern day cavern is the 3rd place the cavern has been built in. the original onet used to be owned by a veg and fruit wholesale place as my wife used to work there!
    Later when it became the carvern she used to go in there for lunch breaks and listen to the music. Hard to imagine as Liverpool has now changed a lot.
    Did ou go and see the statue of the fab four in the building opposite the cavern entrance?
    Hope you didn't do the DUCK tours of Liverpol and the docks.The last one sank in one of the docks :)

TCSC47 likes this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

As an ex-patriot Scouser now living in the Midlands,I found the opening post really interesting. I was too young to see the Beatles live at the Cavern but watched the changes happening in the city from a distance and was happy to see it rise like a phoenix from the fire of the post war mess. Now, it is lively, clean, attractive and well worth a visit. :)

TCSC47 and oldsomeman like this.
  7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Absolutely!!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  8. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I saw The Beatles - live - in Blackpool prob circa 1964. This gives me lots of kudos with my American family! (For strangers I always say I was a babe in arms )

I have led many a Liverpool tour for US family and also friends we have met on cruises. My ex sister in law lives right by Penny Lane and her 2 sons went to Quarrybank school. My ex met John Lennon and his elder sister spent her lunch hours going to the Cavern.

In the new (eyesore) museum of Liverpool there is a brilliant viewing window overlooking the Pier Head and put across the river and estuary - I highly recommend it. At the other end of that floor is an exhibition of L'pool post 60s. They hold a free film show of early Beatle history on reclaimed raw floor of the first stage the Beatles performed on. My sort of site as.... it's free !!! I have also just visited the shop at the end of The Beatles Story at Albert Dock.... entry to the shop is free and interesting.

The National Trust does tours of John's Aunt Mimi's house and Paul's house. The drawback is that it starts at Speke Hall - a distance away and returns you there. You have to prebook too. Apparently Yoko donated stuff to the house and just asked that they photocopy the visitor's book
    regularly and post the copies to her.

TCSC47 likes this.
  9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

To my mind that was one of the things about the Beatles. They brought fame to Liverpool (and the rest of Britain) throughout the world. The tour guide on the Magical Mystery Tour coach asked everybody where they had come from as they boarded the bus. I thought she was just being welcoming, but then she made the point of telling us where everybody had come from. We had Texas, Brazil, France, and Japan! Such was their fame. I don't think I am aware of any other British entertainers who have done that, whilst still based in Britain.

When we visited John's house there was a National Trust group just going in. As we are members this will have to be done. We visited Elgar's National Trust house and that was fun.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

We didn't have time for the Museum this time but we have seen it before and, as you say, it is excellent and well worth a visit.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  11. Elle_lily

Elle_lily New commenter

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Trouble is i think many of the earlier groups brought fame to the city.Dave Clark five, The Swinging Blue Jeans and Gerrry and the Pacemakers , etc The whole scene was throbbing...i even wanted to make a group up with my five stringed banjo ..even if i could not play one note.The base was to be a tea chest with pole and string. We even had a wash board as in real skiffle!We spent many a morning making a row in a neighbours garden lol