1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where could I "jump" to from M5 point on main pay scale?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by marzipan221, Dec 9, 2016.

1. marzipan221

marzipan221 New commenter

I am currently on M5 (and it is my 5th year in teaching).
    I know of a lot of good candidates who, when going for interview ask for a higher spine point than expected (e.g. my trainee has just applied for a job and has asked for M4 in the hope they would haggle her down to maybe M2 or M3 but they accepted M4! - so she will be on M4 in her NQT year!)
    I understand that to go onto UPS you have to have spent a certain amount of years at M6 and have a proven track record for contributing to the wider school etc etc...
    I have an interview and think I am a valuable candidate - the normal thing would be to go onto M6 at this new school, so how could I ask for anything above?

Hope this makes sense....
    Thanks for any help and advice.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

:eek:

3. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

If you want to ask for a higher spine point then ask but you have to be willing to accept that asking may cost you the job.

4. install

install Star commenter

You might consider an additional TLR but they are not great in terms of pay...as well of course as UPS if have not already got it.