1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

where can one "spend a penny" these days

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Aug 19, 2018.

1. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45009337

The obvious response is that someone is taking the urine. Or they are generally not taking the urine.

That is austerity for you, dwindling council budgets have forced this inconvenience upon us

2. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

Apologies for the poor punctuation in the title. Reading the BBC website is ruining my command of the English Languge.

3. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

On the upside, it makes us more European.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If we are going on a long car journey we sometimes decide to go the pretty way rather than oj the motorway. We put the postcodes of various supermarkets into the satnav so, if required, we can take a comfort stop.

5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Well only if they allow peeing in the streets.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

7. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

There is a small cafe a few streets down from me, that has a sitting down facility but does not allow customers the use of their toilets. 'It's only for staff,' which I think is awful.

It is really is a problem for many individuals, especially the older ones and those with children. Some individuals have had accidents in stores and supermarkets because of this.

If the issue is the cleaning of the toilets by staff, it is a surely better than individuals having accidents in their premises whilst customers are eating.:eek:

A few good places to add to the list of where you can go when you are on the go are doctor's surgeries and hospitals.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I have a feeling there is law that staff toilets in cafes and places that prepare and cook food must be separate from customer toilets, a food hygiene regulation. So if it's a small place it might not have space to create a separate toilet for customers. Mind you, that seems like shooting yourself in the foot, how many people, especially older people and people with children would go back to a café with no toilets? When we're out with our friends we are all of an age where having a toilet is a pre-requisite for going into the café!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    border_walker likes this.
  9. catbefriender

To answer your question, that is exactly it. It is ONLY after you have eaten your meal and you ask to use the toilet, you are promptly told you can not and then you are directed to go to the local library, where you are told, they have a toilet, which is about a 5 minute walk away and only open part time, which isn't ideal for everyone. It was open when I went there.

I occasionally buy a cake in there to eat when I get home, but will never take friends for a meal and cake in there because of this. I read that if a premises has 20 or more seats, it has to provide access to toilets for its customers, so I guess you can have 19 seats and not have to bother. But in my opinion, if you serve food and drink, you MUST also provide toilet facilities or state it clearly that you will not on your windows or prior to serving food i.e. at the point of ordering.

Can you imagine how many customers cafes like this would lose?

agathamorse and Rott Weiler like this.
  10. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Or do as i saw someone do on a motorway emergency area, just let it hang out for those passing to see.

11. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

We all need She Wee's. In fact I have a friend who uses one routinely when she go for a day / trip out. Or perhaps Tena's are more comfortable.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think the 20-seat cut off is rather different. If there are less than 20 seats, a minimum of one toilet is required, which can be unisex and which can be shared by staff and customers.

More than 20 seats and there have to be separate male and female toilets for customer use, plus 1 or 2 toilets (depending on number of employees) for staff.

There is a special exemption for premises with 10 or less seats, which can operate without a customer toilet (there must still be a staff toilet), but only under exceptional circumstances, such as insufficient room or seating only for those waiting for take-out food. These special circs have to be agreed with the LA Food, Licensing and Occupational Safety Manager.

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Last time this was discussed here (in 2016) I pointed out that the London Borough of Richmond has a rather good scheme in which various shops and pubs advertise that their facilities are free for public use, in return for which the council pays them a subsidy to help cover cleaning and maintainence costs:

https://community.tes.com/threads/what-a-complete-joke.747911/page-2#post-11891791

chelsea2 and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  14. catbefriender

@florian gassmann Thanks for this. I have been thinking of reporting them to the council, but haven't because I am sure they will eventually lose out. The manner in which they state you can not use the toilets is such that, I am sure they lose more and more customers and the type of customers that would be willing to:

a. spend more time in there
    b. go there more often and
    c. spend more money there.

Just looked at your old post and inserted my council and community toilet scheme and see one does exist and there is a badge that my local stores/shops can place in their windows.

Thanks for that. Very useful.

florian gassmann likes this.
  15. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Our local precept has gone up to keep the local loos open as the parish councils have taken them over. I don’t mind this as beaches without loos would be truly awful:oops:. The ones on the two playing field were both demolished years ago due to vandalism so small children have to wee in hedges, not nice for anyone:(.

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

In towns and cities these days, it is fairly easy to, e.g., go to a shop like M&S and find a toilet. In some cases shops are paid/given financial leeway (or ‘weeway’!) for providing toilet facilities to passing trade.

I do think all food outlets should provide toilets based on the fact they sell drinks (drink = liquid = pee in my books).

On another note I went to/go to Handsworth cemetery regularly. They have no permanent toilet facilities, but have 3 outdoor portaloos. They stink and often have remnants of ‘solids’ stuck to the sides of the toilet. It is absolutely gross. In winter it is freezing. In Summerit is honking. This is the second biggest cemetery in Birmingham with100s of people visiting each week. Shameful and disgusting.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

At some point we will be getting rid of our estate car. We transport furniture and white goods for our rental property when possible and I have often suggested that we should get a van and keep my small car for local shopping trips. Lately, I've actually been looking at campervans so that we could have access to a cassette WC/. It's excruciating being stuck in motorway traffic jams without access to facilities. We would also be able to sleep in it outside our rental property if we have to be there on successive days for maintenace work. It's 80 miles from our home.

I never go in cafés that have no WCs for customers. Even my Nana's café in the 1950s made the outside WC available to customers.

catbefriender and Dunteachin like this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If I need a loo on our high st I use ASDA. I would not spend any money in there as they built on our park but as they knocked down the public WCs to build the store then I think that is fair. They had a flood there last year and everyone was looking at the big puddle and scratching their heads, I pointed out that when this was a park there was always a big puddle here when it rained!

19. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Last time I travelled by train, both Euston and Manchester stations charged 30p to use the loos - that's a hefty charge for families with small children.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

pay 30p then lift the kids over the barrier.

catbefriender and agathamorse like this.