1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where can I go for my summer holiday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I have 4 weeks. I don't have to go to one particular place for that time period. Could come back to London in between.
    I don't really want to go on an 18-30 holiday, though I am happy to back pack around. I don't have a significant other to go with or any mates at the moment (who I know are free and want to come with me! I do have friends!!!!), so safety for a single female is one of my concerns, though I'm not a chicken.
    Any ideas gratefully received.

2. I have 4 weeks. I don't have to go to one particular place for that time period. Could come back to London in between.
    I don't really want to go on an 18-30 holiday, though I am happy to back pack around. I don't have a significant other to go with or any mates at the moment (who I know are free and want to come with me! I do have friends!!!!), so safety for a single female is one of my concerns, though I'm not a chicken.
    Any ideas gratefully received.

3. Why not just go to where you want to go to?
    I would like to have the luxury of contemplating...
    Throw a dart at a map.

4. CQ, I know I am lucky, but apart from Asia (that I can do from home) and South America, I have done almost all of the major parts that I had on my 'list' when I first arrived.
    Clearly, I have not even been to half of all the places I would like to explore, but budget and time are constraints!
    I want to be active and hike, raft, canyon etc although planning and doing something like this on my own is daunting and not as much fun.
    Can anyone recommend some independent tour companies etc that help facilitate this type of holiday?

5. Austria and Switzerland.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Both lovely holiday destinations. (I'm particularly fond of Austria) - but they can be a bit pricy.
    How about Eastern Europe? The Czech Republic perhaps?
    Or one year I stayed in Italy, in one of the Austrian/Italian towns and crossed into Austria for day trips - it saved about a third of the cost because Italy was so much cheaper.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My sister has been on some holidays on her own, but with a tour group, with an organisation called 'Imaginitive traveller' or something. She's been to Egypt (although I wouldn't recommend that at the mo!!) and Morocco. She also went to Goa on her own, and then did trips out and about when she was there. She's always really enjoyed herself.
    It's a shame you don't have any mates who want to go somewhere, because you could go somewhere and drive around a bit, like the US, since you have 4 weeks.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

ejclibrarian likes this.
  9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Croatia? Or do Trek America (may be a similar europe one?) x

10. I travelled to Egypt last year with a company called "On The Go Tours" and would highly recommend them for solo travelling. I joined a group of about a dozen people mostly in their late 20s-30s, and had a fantastic time (feel so sad watching the riots in Cairo as the company have a large office there and many staff may well be caught up in the troubles)
    They do a lot of different tours, from Eastern Europe to the Far East....

11. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I've heard Slovenia has all the beauty and activities of Austria but much less cost.
    I've also gone around southern France on my own- if you buy train tickets in advance you can get them dead cheap, and I took a tent and stayed in youth hostels or municipal campsites. Really enjoyed it- though I wasn't doing much in the way of canyoning etc.

12. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Nothing wrong with CQ's suggestions, but I'm wondering if you might be better suited to Iceland. It will appear more daring and different than the rather 'typical' Alps countries, and all what you are quoted for wanting above will be there in abundance. Very young population in Iceland so lots to do and lots of young people around sharing ideas and doing things. Worthwhile considering.

13. Finland, Norway, Sweden - those would be my top choices :)

14. Iceland is expensive, though, jonha.
    Finland is great. The language is totally crazy and they are all a bunch of loons, but tis a great country.

15. I've been to Iceland, this October just gone, thanks to a geography trip.

Thanks for replies, so far. I like the Europe hiking ideas. I think iwill head to Iceland in may half term and do a dive!

Looking at East coast USA and maybe hiking the Appalachians. Any one have any info? I have a discounted trans Atlantic flight that id like to utilise if possible. I only found out today about that!

16. I've used Intrepid and Trek America before and both have been great. I know that group trips aren't for everybody, but if you are young and not complete anti-social theay are really good. Both these companies give you quite a bit of free time and activities are always optional so you don't feel too 'coach tour' like. Plus the groups are only about 15.
    If you want the East Coast how about these?
    http://www.trekamerica.co.uk/tours/an.html#
    http://www.trekamerica.co.uk/tours/be.html# (the one I did, it was great!)
    http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/SSRP#overview
    http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/SSRA#overview

17. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I'm off to Alaska with Intrepid this summer... I'm really looking forward to it.

18. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

http://www.trailfinders.com/usa