1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where can I buy miniwhite boards?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by becky_harg, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Hello

I am starting my NQT year next year and already know the school I will be working in, I know that there are serious funding issues and would like to buy my own set of mini whiteboards as I know the school doesn't have or intend on getting any.

I have looked on the previous posts here but alot of the links have expired or the websites can only supply schools not individuals.

If anyone knows of anywhere I can buy a set of these white baords (preferably the ones with a graph on the other side) it would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks and hope you're all having a good summer!

2. Hello

I am starting my NQT year next year and already know the school I will be working in, I know that there are serious funding issues and would like to buy my own set of mini whiteboards as I know the school doesn't have or intend on getting any.

I have looked on the previous posts here but alot of the links have expired or the websites can only supply schools not individuals.

If anyone knows of anywhere I can buy a set of these white baords (preferably the ones with a graph on the other side) it would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks and hope you're all having a good summer!

3. buttongirl

buttongirl New commenter

4. I have made my own mini white boards. Just buy a cheap laminator machine from a supermarket and laminate plain A4 paper on one side and graph paper on the other, get cheap pens (as they will go missing into pencil cases!!) and cut up blue jay cloths for the kids to clean them after use.

5. We use polywallets with inserts. You can change the insert to be graph paper, tables set up for info, squared paper, whatever. Make sure to get the really smooth wallets though. And ASDA do a set of Jcloths for something ridiculous like 20p!

6. Excellent! Thanks very much

7. I just spent nearly £15 buying a couple of mini whiteboards from WH Smiths! Glad I found this post though, thanks!

8. As an experienced teacher, please don't.
    Like you, I would buy things my school would not, down to pencils, rubbers and rulers. I'd be given a basic stock by someone who'd never actually taught and didn't believe that children would eat, pinch or break stationary. I have spent a fortune - probably enough to buy a small new car had I saved the money insead. OK, I've added all the books I have bought too.
    White boards are a great resource but you will need to buy pens too and that is going to cripple you. You need 1 per child plus say 10 spare and replace themat least once.
    However, this year I will not be spending a penny. Others in my school don't (in the past they have borrowed from me once they know I've been daft enough to buy something). I don't mind sharing but it can get tiresome when it is the same people asking. However, that is not your debate.
    Just mine is, don't buy things for school. It is hard not too and I will probably struggle not go onto Amazon, or some stationary web sites.
    However, I am stopping now. I can't afford to get a mortgage on my own so I'm damed if I'm spending what money I do have on my job !

9. The pens aren't necessarily crippling1 You can get a pack of 10 from ASDA for about £3, so if you get 3 packs for a class of 30 that's a total of £9. Hardly financially crippling, imo.

10. PS. I totally agree with your general point about buying stationery though which is why I take anything I pay for home when the year's finished and don't let anyone apart from very close colleagues borrow my stuff.