1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are your Reception?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by L10, Feb 6, 2012.

1. L10

L10 New commenter

Where are your Reception children at in terms of Literacy / Numeracy skills?

2. Mine are doing quite well with numeracy. This is their second term in school and most are not achieving 6s,7s and 8s for Numeracy.
    In terms of Literacy, I have a whole range. We are all working on phase 3 from letters and sounds, some further ahead than others. Reading is coming along, some can read books with sentences such as "Can I help?" Asked Joe. "No you can not" said kate. where as others can barely read "I am pop". We are working on this and hear the children read as much as possible.
    In terms of writing...generally they are great at copy writing when copying under a model but when they have to do independent writing some struggle.
    Where are yours?

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Mine range from fluent readers who can write sentences using capital letters and full stops indpendently (but in an AI task) to someone who has only just got to grips with making circle shapes with a pen and knows about 5 PGCs. In number, it ranges from a child who knows number bonds to 10 and can count forwards and backwards in his head to one who doesn't reliably recognise numbers to 6. Usual thing really! I am struggling with some of what I call the "workbook" children (whose parents buy them workbooks for home) because they more than many of the other children don't show a great deal of creativity in their play and it's hard to see evidence of them using all their writing and number skills in their CI time.

4. Sorry that should read NOW are achieving, not NOT! Sorry