1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you going on holiday this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JessicaRabbit1, Jan 1, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Alsace is lovely. If you get a chance visit Colmar, very picturesque.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Beat me to it! LOL

lindenlea and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

It’s not good around there... I can tell you!

lindenlea likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Another vote here for Colmar, which I think has the edge on Strasbourg. Also, if you're into that sort of thing, just across the Rhine is Europa Park, like Alton Towers plus. Not for everybody of course.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Coventry or Paris?

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Gotta say.
    I hate holidays.
    I love my own house and my dogs and cat.
    I usually don't actively hate my holidays when I arrive but I dread them. I tolerate them for the sake of Her Maj who loves them.
    I do try to like them and make the effort to pretend it's all wonderful.
    But I miss home terribly.

towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Holidays! Pah! Won't even get thought about until I have moved house, and there ain't much sign of that. I don't know whether to wait until after the massive ****-up that is Brexit happens to see what sort of monumental economic poo we are in.

towncryer likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sorry to hear that ivartheboneless. I think a few people are finding it difficult to sell at the moment as if the possible Post B house devaluation occurs people might find themselves in negative equity.:(

We can only afford our holiday because we've both lost parents in the past 2 years and money has come through and we reckon this may be our last chance to make it to Europe financially.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Depending on whether you want to move up or down the property ladder, Brexit may work out well vis-a-vis house prices.

Having spent much of last year planning, then finally executing, a house move I can only wish you well...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. magic surf bus

We last moved house over 30 years ago and on the basis of that experience have sworn that our next place of residence will be an urn. Good luck with it. :)

Lara mfl 05 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I got caught in 2006 at the height of the "boom", my house is still worth less that I paid for it as there was a massive dramatic plummet in prices after the "crash" and they have never recovered (despite government bullsh*t, about economic recovery that only happened in the south west). I want to move to a bungalow if possible, away from traffic and with the bog on the same floor as the bedroom at least, or better still an ensuite, or if not a bungalow, a bog on each floor. After that my next move would involve a long box. I have had to wait for my ancient mother to snuff it to get enough money, though a fair amount of it went on her "care". I am only scanning the Rightmove app at the moment, though I had mine valuated a few months back.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I keep saying the only way I leave here is in a box!

We're taking down a shed this year, I hope.

I maintain that we ought to install a living-pod in its place. For my declining years. I can be self-sufficient and no trouble to anyone. Her Maj just wants another shed. :(

towncryer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. magic surf bus

Blimey. Among the Inuit it was traditional during times of food shortage for the elderly to sneak out of the igloo at night, chuck off their togs and end it all with hypothermia, so as not to be a burden to anyone. Do you ever get this strange urge to cut ice holes in your pond and spear a passing seal? Just wondering. :)

towncryer, oldsomeman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

@blazer and @magicsurfbus. Thanks for your recommendations. We were thinking of a couple of nights in Strasbourg then basing ourselves in Colmar for 5 nights. We plan on going using Eurostar as OH gates flying. We will probably spend a night on the way there in Paris and the same on the way back. If anyone else has used the train and has other suggestions please feel free to respond.

15. magic surf bus

You're welcome @littlejackhorner - I recall the Musee Bertholdi in Colmar as being a bit different, all about the French sculptor who designed (amongst other things) the Statue of Liberty. Otherwise it's a very picturesque town with a distinct Franco-German feel, given its position on a historically changing border. Strasbourg is of a similar character.

16. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As well as Strasbourg & Colmar, if you have a car I'd also recommend the Ecomusee d'Alsace (near Mulhouse) if you like open air museums and local history, and also the Schlumpf collection if you like classic cars (Bugattis!) Belfort, not far away, is also worth a visit.

magic surf bus likes this.