1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you going on holiday this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JessicaRabbit1, Jan 1, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Just Googled it - the missing one is Winchester! I did my teacher training in Canterbury and I used to walk through the cathedral grounds to get to the college - you can't do that now. My claim to fame is that I shook hands with the then Archbishop Robert Runcie during a service.

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My last sentence sounds ambiguous - I didn't shake his hand while the service was taking place, I meant afterwards!

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Lara - Your holiday does indeed sound fabulous. Have a wonderful time. As for us: I always said that when I wasn't teaching any longer, I'd go on holiday to a warm place during our winter and, along with many others from northern Europe, we're going again to Tenerife which is somewhere we love.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We drove to Italy a few years back. We had a convertible then so ideal. The motorways were pretty scary.

primarycat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most Italian cars end up as convertibles one way or another

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It was said to us once, when we were in Sicily, that in England, they drive on the left, in Europe, they drive on the right and in Sicily, they drive in the shade.

It was not wise to attempt crossing the road. Pedestrian crossings seemed to be just an addition to the road surface and served no purpose for pedestrians wishing to get from one side of the road to the other.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

While in Sorrento someone told us that many Italian drivers don't have car insurance. If they hit someone (or of someone hits you) then you settle it there and then in cash.

8. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

When we were in Sorrento a charming hotel receptionist warned us about pedestrian crossings, she described them as target zones.

9. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Many years ago when Canterbury cathedral suggssted a £5 donation my friends then boyfriend gave the lady at the entrance a lecture on money changers in the temple.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In China there are traffic lights that have timers - so the light goes Green and you get a number that starts counting down. Everyone then legs it across the road as fast as possible because when the light goes Red and the timer goes to zero - the traffic starts coming.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Since the charge is to enter the precincts (and services can be attended for free), I'm not sure the point was well made! Mind you if it wasn't compulsory, he didn't have to pay anyway!

12. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

Yes, I think at times I am mad.

Medjugorje is just over the border from Croatia in Bosnia-Herzegovina. It's an amazing place. I've been 9 times and I don't know anyone who has been who says their life has not been transformed for the better. It's incredibly beautiful.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

We often go on Riviera holidays for the reason that we don’t want to drive and really appreciate the excellent organisation. Loved their Sicily, Russia and Bologna holidays. Off to Sardinia In April- fingers crossed that Brexit doesn’t affect it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. FormosaRed

No, not Westminster. Free.

The CofE cathedrals charge ( they were, after all, stolen in the first place). The Catholic Cathedrals are free.

15. FormosaRed

Never been but would love to see it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I don't pay to get into cathedrals. I shall just wear my dog collar and stroll right on in.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The area around Ely Cathedral is lovely as well

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

Westminster abbey charged me £22 the other day!

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think primarycat meant Westminster Cathedral, the RC one.
    Isn't this common all over the place.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - but the Chinese ones have to be experienced at first hand.