1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you going on holiday this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JessicaRabbit1, Jan 1, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Sorrento is the only place in Italy I wouldn't really recommend. Ravenna has the most amazing sights, as has Padua. Bologna is a great city to stay in with fabulous food shops and restaurants and these places are not particularly expensive. Not if you want a pool/sunshine/beach holiday though. I haven't been to the coast near Ravenna - I presume Rimini is a bit of a party town.

emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We also loved China - if you like peace and solitude than it's not the place for you but it's major attractions are fantastic.

But the drawback is the air pollution which can be awful in the major cities.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I watched a guy park his car in Sorrento one morning - it had many chips and scratches on it and was at one time a Fiat Panda.

He wanted to park it in a space that was about two feet larger than his car. In the end he managed it.

He hit the car in front four times and the car behind three times. He also completely blocked both the cars from getting out again.

Incredible

magic surf bus and primarycat like this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We had been planning to go to Italy at Easter. That may be deferred a year now while we have the bathroom done.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

When you do go - don't take the car.

primarycat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. FormosaRed

FormosaRed Occasional commenter

Am going to Medjugorje at Easter break with 15 other teachers. Can't wait. After that, no plans for other holidays.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Where ?

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You're going with 15 other teachers - are you mad ?

9. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I love Italy. We've been to Sorrento (mainly to see Pompeii), Rome, Bologna, Florence and Sicily.

Mr PC was ok driving there but we did deliberately rent a teeny car to fit down teeny streets.

I think I liked the food in Sicily the most - we went to a fish place with no menu that did a 6 course meal that included the best seafood risotto I have ever had. All perfectly balanced so 6 courses was just right, filling but not too much.

I'll shush now - I'm straying into cookery territory!

emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Nowhere. I have an MA to finish. Plus which, it's almost impossible to lever Mr B off the sofa these days, and as I managed to drag him abroad last year I'm not chancing my luck again for a while. I might indulge myself in some city breaks to places where there are lovely cathedrals in the UK; otherwise I'll be writing.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We need a thread on best/worst food we've ever eaten

Can I nominate the Spam Fritters we use to have at Primary school for the latter. They were so heavy they arrived at the table in a wheelbarrow.

Or the fish pie - it had bones in it that obviously came from a sperm whale (or possibly something larger)

FormosaRed and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Monica, did you watch the Tony Robinson programmes about British cathedrals? They were very informative and entertaining and featured Canterbury, Durham, Salisbury, York, Liverpool - and one other which escapes me, so 6 programmes in all.

monicabilongame and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Start it up then, Peakster! (To quote the Stones!)

14. primarycat

Had some mutton pastrami in Romania about 13 years ago that was so tough and chewy I think there is every chance that I'm still digesting it now.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Ely Cathedral is awesome - it's a bit expensive to get in - but worth it.

FormosaRed and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I forgot about the Butterscotch Angel delight that was made by a Seahorse

rouxx and primarycat like this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You have to pay to visit a cathedral????? :eek:

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. primarycat

Westminster and Canterbury too I think.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

and York Minster - that's VERY expensive.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Canterbury Cathedral is about £12.50 for an adult...