1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you going on holiday this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JessicaRabbit1, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

We’re going to Cyprus in October which we’ve saved up for. With me working p/t and Mr E not working due to ill health, we can’t afford the 3 or more holidays some people on here are having.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So far we're booked for Pennsylvania late March. For me because I can meet up with my cousin in the Poconos (she's American) and for Her Maj because 2CELLOS aren't touring Europe this year so we're going to the US instead to see them.

blazer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We did book our holiday to Croatia this morning.

blazer, primarycat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Definitely Jordan again, once but maybe twice, Russia is also on my must visit list as is Cyprus. Would love to visit Beirut again, my last visit was 12 hours in the airport!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

Dammit @peakster

We haven't been to Porec since 2017! That's too long. I hope we'll be there in September.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. lucylollipop

lucylollipop Occasional commenter

I love this thread! Reading about, planning and, obvs, going on holiday is my absolute favourite pastime...think TripAdvisor is my fave read!
    We have quite a few breaks booked for this year: in Feb we are off to Ronda and Malaga for a few days; in March it's back to Malaga; April is Venice; May/June is San Sebastian, then in Summer (well now Sept/Oct now that I'm retired) we have a month in Spain staying in Chiclana de la Frontera, Cadiz, Seville and Malaga. I lived in Malaga for a while when I was a student and it holds a special place in my heart. We are going to spend next Christmas and New Year there. We are talking about planning a big holiday, touring the USA, in 2020, but I have a real problem with flying, which seems to be getting worse as I get older!

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'd go with you've not missed a lot, like many programmes the first series is new and different, but thereafter the formulaic nature makes it a tedious and predictable watch... *sigh.

coffeekid and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Odo

Odo New commenter

Going to the Isles of Scilly for a weak at Easter. For the first time we're going to (fingers crossed for decent weather conditions) fly over so that I don't have to face the nightmare trip on the Scillonian ferry.

We inend to find somewhere to go in early July beofre the schools break up. Probably in the UK as I still don't have a passport.... but if there are deals to be had after the end of March, perhaps I'll finally get round to applying for one and we could head off on my first 'propper' trip abroad!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I am going back to Majorca in June (the fifth time at the same resort!) Being on my own, it limits what I am prepared to do. This resort is in Alcudia, is all-inclusive, dirt-cheap and has the best beach I've ever been to (and I've been to many over the years - from the Caribbean, to Florida and even Australia.) I won't do long haul flights any more and don't enjoy travelling solo, so the short trip to Majorca fits the bill. I might have a cheap holiday with one of my daughters, but they go on a few holidays with their partners and, not being teachers, they only have so many weeks in the year! I like the Canaries, but the flight is twice that to Majorca!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Colombia, in August.

FormosaRed and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Si Senor

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Gracias, @peakster

¿Quieres que te traiga un buen café fresco y plata?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We were in Porec last year - on the island. It was beautiful.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Someone mentioned Croatia - I'd like to go there. Apart from the fact that everyone I know says its lakes are beautiful, my Finnish friend (who spends a lot of time there) says the Croations remind him of Scots (he also spends a lot of time here) so of course I'm curious.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

In our experience the Croatians have worked very hard to make tourism really successful. I believe it's their main industry and they do it really well. Great service and affordable luxury. Not as gorgeous as Italy though and not the fantastic culture that is on offer in N Italy. We went to Split, Korcula, Dubrovnik and Rovinj.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Problem with Italy is the roads and the traffic.

The Amalfi coast is very overrated.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

Croatia.

Not too many Brits. Good.
    Food good.
    Customer service excellent.
    Picturesque.
    Italianate influences on Istrian peninsula.
    Good value.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I would qualify that by saying town traffic - I don't notice much difference between autostrada and motorways anywhere else. I will always maintain that ours are among the worst to drive in Western Europe.

I have a theory that those jailed for traffic offences in Italy are allowed a reduced sentence if they work a full summer season as a bus driver on the Amalfi Coast, and stay a) alive and b) sane.

I like Italy, and will go back again, but it has to be said they are highly dedicated to extracting the tourist Euro at the honeypot sites.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We stayed in Sorrento last Easter - lovely place, but it was never designed to handle the traffic flows it gets - we were there early season - I dread to think what it is like in high Summer.

The Italians drive equally as badly on the motorways from what I saw - lots of honking and no signals.

I would highly recommend all the places we visited (Capri, Naples, Ischia, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Vesuvius) but the Amalfi coast is a little underwhelming

Madeira is actually a lot prettier (and quieter)

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd love to go back to Crete as well - so much to see.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.