1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you going on holiday this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JessicaRabbit1, Jan 1, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'd still really like to visit North Korea (before North Korea visits me)

install likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Boston is a fantastic city. Check out the Sam Adams brewery (free). They also do a city pass which includes the main attractions. The Natural History museum at Harvard is excellent (a proper, old fashioned museum, not an animatronic or push button in sight). Public transport is also very good (like most American cities) but it is also an easy city to walk. Take the freedom trail.

Lara mfl 05 and install like this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Would love to do Iceland, Norway, Sweeden..Sounds rather expensive though..

Lara mfl 05 and lilachardy like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We did Niagara 10 years ago. It was late March and the American falls were still frozen. The icebergs in the river meant the boats were not running, in fact the place was deserted.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We did Amiens a few years back, spectacular. Metz is also pretty amazing.

lindenlea and magic surf bus like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Have you considered a cruise? You get a taster of all the places plus first class accommodation and food.

Lara mfl 05, HelenREMfan and install like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Yes. Partner not too keen on a cruise - so.am trying to persuade. I think.its the cheapest option.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Not really a holiday, but we'll be going to France for the Women's World Cup as the Scotland team qualified. Booked accommodation already.
    I would very much like to go to Spain at some other point in 2019 as I've been learning the language for about a year now and have zero Spanish speakers to practice on/with in my small town. The motivation flags eventually if there seems no point in learning.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I still consider the Scotland V Peru game at the 1974 World Cup one of the finest games of football I have ever giggled through.

10. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

What were you smoking?

11. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I don't do holidays, but I do travel a fair bit in the line of work.

Looking forward (so far) to Berlin three times, Brussels, Rhine Valley during the next six months. Possibly Moscow and St Petersburg in October.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

That's nice.

13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Been watching Mrs Brown? ;)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

2 trips to Majorca planned.
    Hoping to do Antigua next December, but might hold back until Jan 2020to see if prices better.
    Want to discover more of UK....particularly East Anglia.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Never seen it.

16. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

If you go to Boston go on a whale watching trip. Book for an afternoon as the morning boats will have identified the best areas to look that day. Even hormonal teenage daughter was blown away by the sight of humpback whales.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Feb and march in the philippines. july and august in normandy, plus a couple of stray weeks. A week seeing friends in New York and another ditto in catalonia.
    Yes, we're retired. The philippines actually saves us money, as do the trips to france. In catalonia wa stay with our friend, so only new york costs us.

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

And I consider us very lucky.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Girlfromthenorthcountry

Girlfromthenorthcountry New commenter

Last year we travelled the furthest we've ever been and visited family in Kuala Lumpur - we stayed in Singapore, Taman Negara rainforest and then a week in a hut on a tropical beach! A very different holiday for us and it was great.

This summer we will go (with friends) to France for two weeks although in Feb I'm off to Jerusalem with a group of women from my church which I'm really looking forward to.

@install, we've had some great holidays in Norway and Denmark, both in the winter and summer. However, I'm not too keen on the cuisine and it is very expensive but in my opinion, that part of the world is truly captivating.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I want to go down the Yangtse - but it might have to wait until we retire.