1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you going on holiday this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JessicaRabbit1, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

France again, by rail, for the main course. Cheshire and North Wales in the campervan as starter or dessert, or both. Probable ambles along the south coast with a friend as well. For reasons too sad to go into here, I have a lot less planned this year than normal, so will need to make more of an effort to get away.

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Valencia in August- we’ve been before, but youngsters want to go again, so it was all booked last Saturday. We might do Scotland or somewhere else UK at Easter, but no big plans for then as one of the family will be in full GCSE revision mode (I hope!).

3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

We're spending a couple of weeks driving through Basilica and Calabria in the summer. We've booked the flights but will need to plan route and accommodation. Probably a mixture of agro-tourism places and hotels or air bnb in cities.

We're also planning a couple of nights in Zurich to see Mr Pc's sister. Switzerland is so expensive that it may cost almost as much as last year's trip to St Lucia to visit his brother! (Possible slight exaggeration here.)

Then there will be a few visits to PCjr at her uni.

Oh and a couple of nights near Barcelona.

We do love a trip and because of various circumstances are in a position to do some things much more cheaply than would otherwise be possible.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

(((Grandsire))). Always sad to hear about sad things for 'one of our own on here'. :(

Don't I know it.:rolleyes: Our trip must surely be taking in the most expensive parts of Europe. Which is why I call it 'the trip of a lifetime', as we won't be repeating it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    install, Grandsire and primarycat like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Our one Rhine cruise was interrupted for 3 days by too much water in the Rhine (it was mid-May). Speaking to the coach drivers accompanying us, they said this was common except in summer...when the river was often too low!

I think one just has to cross one's fingers and hope...

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Everyone's breaks sound good … Lara, your's sounds amazing!!!!

We do have 'care' duties, with my elderly father and mother-in-law. It's not that there aren't other siblings to share the load, but many of you will know the 'I can't be out of the country if they're sick/in hospital, etc,' feeling. We've decided to go for it though, and have booked a couple of weeks at our favourite little town in Menorca. … made sure I've taken out the travel insurance to cover all eventualities! Also plan to go caravanning with the grandkids at Whitsun and maybe at the end of the summer holidays.

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I hope you will post about your holidays, so I can share your experiences vicariously. :) If anyone deserves a good holiday, it’s you Lara!

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

We have a cruise in SE Asia booked for next month, and a week in Granada in March to beat any Brexit problems... Then in December (to February) we're planning our second visit 'Down Under'.

As others have said, we are keen to do as much as we can whilst we are able! So there may be a few more squeezed in!:D

9. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Going to do Scotland , driving the North Coast 500 with a couple of friends in a camper van

install likes this.
  10. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Euro Camping around France.

install, blazer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

We booked a fortnight in Cornwall for June, which will be lovely - somewhere we've been a number of times and love.
    But it felt a long way off, so yesterday I booked a week in a windmill in Suffolk for March.
    Went abroad last year, so this year we stay in the UK. It's been a pattern for ages, and nothing to do with Brexsh*t.

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Croatia and Montenegro - hopefully my wife is going to book it today !

13. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I would love to go back to Niagara Falls again. I was incredibly lucky about 10 years ago to have the chance to go to Toronto for a week, with the Catholic Partnership in our diocese to see how Canadian schools provide for their SEN pupils. We went to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake on our free day. It was in February and I have never seen so much snow in my life!

install, blazer and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Definitely. We're foresaking Europe for Scotland in the spring, and waiting to see what happens regarding borders and exchange rates before making any decisions about the autumn, although the plan is for another long trip to France.

We do actually want to visit Scotland, which we've shamefully neglected over the years, so it seemed like a good opportunity. The Orkneys and Hebrides are the main priority, and hopefully the McMidges won't have got into their stride yet in April. I've seen what they're like in July.

15. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I couldn’t afford a holiday last year and I doubt I will this year so I will enjoy hearing all about yours! I have a milestone birthday in 2020 by which time eldest will be 20 and youngest will be 17 so hopefully Bank of Mum will be in a better position and I can go somewhere nice.

needabreak, install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Will see what deals are to be had in Europe. Would be nice to have some Spring sunshine and warmth as we go into cold, wintertime. Wouldn’t mind hibernating for a few months until then. Could do with some sleep.......

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Niagara falls is far more spectacular in the Winter than it is in Summer - although if you do go then you must do the boat trip which goes under the main falls.

18. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

A week in Majorca in early May with my husband's cycling club; I can tag along for the first time as they always go in term time and as a retiree such options are now open to me.
    Nothing else planned as yet but will no doubt do something else later in the year.

Husband has two weeks work scheduled in France - due to end on March 28th. :eek:
    He keeps talking about "the last helicopter out of Saigon"...

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Don't miss Amiens. Plus if you go on 14 April you get the huge flea market as a bonus, if you like that sort of thing.

lindenlea, Lara mfl 05 and install like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I know it's not in France but we went into Naples Cathedral last Summer

It is amazing

lindenlea and Lara mfl 05 like this.