1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you going on holiday this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JessicaRabbit1, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

My thoughts always turn to holidays after Christmas and the New Year are done.

Where are you planning to go? And is anyone waiting to see what happens with Brexit before making any holiday decisions?

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Probably nowhere if we put a bit of an extension on the house. Somewhere in UK if we don’t.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Spending February touring Australia. Got 2 weeks in May booked to go to the Ice Hockey world championships in Slovakia. Looking for an opportunity to go to Chicago, probably in early Winter depending on Blackhawk fixtures.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We're having some work done on the house so are waiting to get a time for that but we are going to Edinburgh in August for 4days at the Fringe and we might do Latitude mid July. We want to do a tour of northern France cathedrals for maybe a week in Spring sometime and then there's Ravenna, Parma and Ferrara that are on the list too for later in the year. Feel a bit twitchy that I'm not getting booked up but better to wait a bit. The Brexit thing is a bit of a concern but wouldn't stop me once we know when the work will be scheduled for.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Cruise up the Danube. Cancelled last year due to insufficient water in the Rhine. (So much for German efficiency!)

It will not make a whit of difference.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@nomad One friend went on a Danube cruise that turned into a coach tour - she was not happy. Another acquaintance was on the first boat to go through the whole route a couple of weeks ago.
    What about you @JessicaRabbit1 ?

nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Not a holiday as such, but I desperately want to go back to Lourdes. I went for the first time with my church in August and intend to join the parish pilgrimage this year too.

As for holidays, I'm not sure. We're only having one week at Easter this year, and then 2 in the May half term so no doubt I'll go away in the second week.

FormosaRed and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I love holidays and travelling, and everything about them, planning, packing, getting there - all of it. Mr JessicaRabbit however hates them and would prefer to stay at home 52 weeks of the year. He is self-employed so that's an issue but even were he not, he would still stay at home. Which might not be an issue but we live in a very dull part of England with no scenery whatsoever. Every year it is a battle to persuade him, and then when we are away, he spends the entire time wanting to come home. This year we have come into some money and I would like us to go somewhere a bit further afield (usually I manage to entice him to France where his parents live or Cornwall) but he is having none of it. Even though money is much less of an issue this year in that we could afford for him to take the time unpaid.

sunshineneeded and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Noted and thank you. Much has to do with the water level and this summer was unusual in its lack of rainfall.

Next October we shall see.

:)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We're off on a holiday of a lifetime. :D
    It's our 40th wedding anniversary and we've been saying we'll get to Austria for our 25th, then 30th, but never happened. :( Care duties took over and we couldn't envisage going far or for too long. So we're off on a grand rail tour taking in Belgium, Germany, Austrian /Italian and Swiss Alps and back through France. The video looks wonderful and as we're less fit to do the mountain climbing we originally planned this will enable us to take in a lot of Europe in one go. Rhe firm organising it will be keen for everything to go through and any post-Brexit travel problems will be theirs to sort out.;)Plus its hotels every night and no pulman. Only the second time in our lives we've had a hotel holiday. :D

11. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

That sounds wonderful Lara! :)

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm so jealous, Lara! That sounds incredible. Any room for a stowaway? ;)

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Flying into Boston, driving up to Niagara Falls.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

It's been a long time in the waiting and planning and is now finally booked and deposit paid. :)

It is 'very' expensive by our standards, but with our inheritance and now being free of caring duties, our children pointed out how if we'd had holidays for the past 20 years 'we've saved enough to pay for one really expensive but good one. ;)

15. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Like Lara, we're making the most of being in good health ourselves and with no caring duties anymore. We're off to the Seychelles soon and have a holiday in Vienna booked too.

16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Try to include a visit to Niagara on the Lake..... tis a lovely drive along the road following the river, N on the L is a very pretty quaint little town and a nice contrast to Niagara Falls. It sounds (and maybe looks) naff but don't miss a trip go The Lady of the Mist - the boats which sail up to the bottom of the falls.... loved it..... you get a rainproof (much needed) Poncho to shelter you but wow you get the feel for the power of that water......
    MrREMfan hailed from Rochester about an hour and a half drive from the US to Niagara. Liked to walk across the old bridge too as you straddle the border USA/Canada :)

Enjoy !!

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter

We were there last September and it was heaving with people! We queued for a good half hour just to get an ice cream. Agree about the boat trip though as that was an experience I'll never forget!

Lara mfl 05 and HelenREMfan like this.
  18. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

My OH has 2 weeks of leave to take before the end of March so he is off in Feb so we might take the odd day out (if I can drag him out as he does like to stay in Sept til May) We have a week in March too and have booked a (new to us) hotel in the Lakes just south of Windermere. Used to love The Langdale Chase but they restricted the "dog friendly" area to a small grassed area which meant you couldn't walk down through the grounds to the Lake..... so am trying a rather nice looking place set in large grounds but no lakeside frontage alas. Still the reviews are nice. The Britannia Inn at Elterwater was also booked up alas....
    The main holiday is another Celebrity cruise to the western Med for me and Mr REMfan..... He hasn't ever been to Barcelona or Corsica and the Marseilles port will be new to us both. Love these cruises as Celebrity doesn't cater to maniacal child activity stuff, (so no dodgems, climbing walls, flumes etc) just adult friendly spaces..... the indoor pool/solarium is designated no under 16s !!! plus I book school term time hols ( as on a zero hour contract job I can do this ) I can cope with the very comfortable accommodation and the staff are brilliant, then the bars and food..... just great..... and lovely places to visit with odd days at sea to recoup... perfect.... so Gib, Ports for Florence and Rome, Corsica, Marseilles, Barcelona and Lisbon....what's not to like 6 sea days to relax too.....

19. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Thanks for the advice!

Lara mfl 05 and HelenREMfan like this.
  20. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

I am going to Cornwall for a week in July for definite, but hoping to arrange a few little mini breaks also. Italy would be nice for my birthday in June. I've been to Venice and Verona, but there's so much more of it I want to see.

@Lara mfl 05 your trip sounds amazing!!

@Aquamarina1234 : I am massively jealous. Would love to go back to Niagara.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.