1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are you finding your clients?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Penguin47, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

Or, where are they finding you?

I've signed up to a number of sites now and, thus far, have only had one regular client. I don't teach a core subject so it might be one of the reasons why interest is scarce, but still, looking on how to make this a bit more of an active endeavour for me.

2. Veerwal

Veerwal New commenter

If it’s any consolation, I’m in a similar situation and I DO teach a core subject. I think I’m going to focus on setting up my own website. I’ve only started about a month ago so I expect it to be a bit slow at first. It was progressing nicely until the exams were cancelled. It is annoying though isn’t it, because it’s quite a lot of work to register with them. The competition is HUGE on those sites though. Good luck, sorry I can’t offer any more advice.

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think cancellation of exams is going to make finding students difficult for some time. I've had a good number of students from TH in the past but no enquiries since exams were cancelled.

I've often wondered if it is worth setting up your own website. If I Google tuition in maths where I live, the only websites which come up in the first few pages are the major tuition sites/agencies. I wonder how anyone would find you.

4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

This is a difficult time to start tutoring I think. Certainly a large number of teachers who are at home on full pay have decided to do some online tutoring, (can't blame them). I found students easily in the area I live but online you compete with the world. I have picked up a couple of new ones through TF but I have done that by dropping my price to a level most teachers would't consider. My view is if we are being forced to sit at home so it is better to have some work. Later when things pick up I can raise my prices.

I did this when I started and was trying to get established. I made myself the cheapest by far in the local area. Then once established I slowly raised my rates. It worked and is a common practice for many new businesses.

5. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

No enquiries from anywhere - agency or otherwise - since the exams were cancelled, I just have the five students who didn't cancel straight away. I can't really see that changing much until lockdown is relaxed or possibly even September if the schools don't go back beforehand. I'll think about reducing my fees on the agencies I'm registered with but they're not that high to begin with.

Happy days! :-(

6. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

That's for sharing your experience, all.

I figured it would be a difficult time. I've only got one regular student at the moment, albeit I've had a few university / adult students for one-off occasions, but just finding the work is difficult. I also seem to be the cheapest and one of the most qualified for my subject area compared to most tutors, but it looks as though they've had more clients and thus better ratings etc.

I think it's just a case of needing to "get my foot in the door", so-to-speak.

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I used to have a website. I got rid of it because I found having a Facebook page was much better and cost nothing
    You can also put yourself on Google business. That way people can review you, you can add your hours etc

Happyregardless likes this.
  8. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Hi langteacher, Do you use an ordinary email address (Eg: blablah@gmail) or have you set up a domain email address on your Google business page? I was thinking of getting a domain name, but I'm trying to keep the cost down and although I have a gmail email address that I use for student/clients to contact me on, I'm not sure it's professional enough. What do you use?

9. langteacher

When I had a website I had something like info @website blah blah
    I now just use my own email
    I had some signs made for my car. They cost something like 25 quid and so far have brought in £200 worth of work. A man delivering a parcel to my house has a place in Spain and wanted to learn Spanish. So that was worth doing.

suzette likes this.
  10. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

You all seem very experienced on this thread. I hope you don’t mind my asking, but what sort of rates to you charge? I’m looking at online tutoring, core subject, probably age 9-13. Thanks in advance for your help.

11. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

I charge £30 for 45 mins. It depends on where you are and what you are tutoring etc, perhaps you could look on something like FT or TH to see what is being charged locally?

12. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Thank you so much. Sorry to be clueless - what are FT and TH?

13. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

F = First
    H= Hunt

I'll leave you to work out what T stands for. ;-)

phatsals likes this.
  14. suzette

Thanks for that. I've had my site all up and going for about 8mths but I've got a gmail account and was thinking of doing a domain name.

thara9643 likes this.
  15. suzette

Bear in mind that it will take a while for you to get at a rate where the tutoring commission fee they charge goes down. I am with Tut...F*L and although I tutor outside of this, I had to do over 340 lessons before I was on the lower rate of commission. So for example, if you are on the high rate of commission and charge £30 a lesson, they could take nearly £15-£17 in commission, depending on the tutoring site.

Happyregardless likes this.
  16. thara9643

thara9643 New commenter

I mainly just advertised in local magazines. I also made up a flyer advertising my services and I even promoted myself on Facebook too. I put up some eye catching colorful flyers in Sainsbury's and contacted schools. I created a account on a couple of tutor directory sites additionally but I rarely log in these days to check. My main primary method of advertising these days is word of mouth. I am a established tutor, not affiliated with any specific tutoring company or website.
    Tip One- make sure that you have a current clear DBS check.
    Tip Two- Ensure that you have some trustworthy references.
    Tip Three- Be honest with clients.

17. langteacher

I've never once , in 8 years, been asked for a DBS or a reference.
    I've got a Facebook page that's got reviews but no one has ever asked for an actual reference. Unless you count the websites where you have a profile etc

18. ruivascoma

ruivascoma New commenter

I'm looking for sites where I can tutor. So far I'm only registered in Tutor Class. Can you tell me other tutoring sites?

19. suzette

We're not allowed on this forum to quote other online tutoring sites. However if you Google tutoring sites, you will get the most popular ones that appear to be: TH**t , TF*l and TF*ir. I'll leave you to work out the what these are when you Google them.

20. ruivascoma

ruivascoma New commenter

Thanks suzette, noted. That was very helpful!