1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are the best places or types of school to make/save money?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by millsandboon, Dec 9, 2010.

1. I'm interested in some feedback about the best places or schools to make and save money. Middle School specifically....any feedback will be appreciated. Anywhere in the world.
    I'm somewhere at the moment where I'm able to save about £1000 a month and live comfortably. When I move on, I want to be able to do the same or more...I'm a single woman, Middle School teacher.
    Thanks for your time.

2. I'm interested in some feedback about the best places or schools to make and save money. Middle School specifically....any feedback will be appreciated. Anywhere in the world.
    I'm somewhere at the moment where I'm able to save about £1000 a month and live comfortably. When I move on, I want to be able to do the same or more...I'm a single woman, Middle School teacher.
    Thanks for your time.

3. The American School in Bucharest pays well. They have vacancies for Middle School teachers at the moment. I haven't actually worked there, so I can't comment personally, but it looks good!
    You can save a grand a month easily living in Bucharest.
    And go to the opera [​IMG]

4. Opera sounds great. Is it safe for a single woman, do you know? Bucharest, not the opera...!

5. I'm currently teaching in Bucharest (although not the American school). The city is perfectly safe for women, not sure about the operas though :p

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Middle East, Dubai or Saudi if it is just money you are thinking of.
    Possiblly one or two schools in Egypt.
    Single female could put away between £1000 and £1500 pcm in the right schools.
    Depends how much you value your lifestyle and the kind of environment you want to live in

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

The best seat in the house at the Bucharest opera seems to cost some €25 so if it is unsafe for women you can afford to take a bodyguard.

8. Bodyguards wouldn't do me any good. I have been to the opera twice and nearly died both times...
    [​IMG]
    Stoppers - single female/male teacher in certain schools could save up to £2,000, yes? Certainly, if Maadi (Cairo) based. Teachers working at the British leading Primary school in Maadi tend....not to leave.

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

Definitely not. They get strangled, stabbed, drowned, burned at the stake, fall off battlements and die of TB. And that's just the sopranos.

10. I missed that bit...damn. [​IMG]
    It was nice to dress smart and not sweat m'nuts of though..

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

And even then, Cap'n my Cap'n (welcome back, by the way, I thought you were going to sulk in your tent until the Ashes and the swearing were over), even then, you have forgotten the guillotine.
    The final scene of Poulenc's Dialogue des Carmelites has more than a dozen nuns marching off stage to make an involuntary contribution to liberté, egalité, fraternité by getting lopped. Poulenc manages to depict the separation of tête from cou with a juicy 'schhksclhunkk' noise in the orchestra.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4m5lN1HOo
    The Bucharest Ceaucescus, distant heirs of 1789, were denied so noble a fate, but their own gruesome final act, also to be found on youtube, is not for dissemination here.
    Poulenc's lifeshattering crunch is something like the noise we hear on the rugger fiekd after the tedious and obscene intonation of, "touch, crouch. hold, ENGAGE" which the referees chant over their sweaty victims, as their own special way of legalising a sixteen-fold same-sex civil partnership.
    In Romania, Rugby is legal and widely practised, while homosexual marriage lies in the Utopian future.
    So as not to trivialse this thread, allow me to agree emphatically with the poster who said that it all depends on your lifestyle choices.
    In Ruritania (decent opera, low-grade Rugby, civil partnership legal, salaries lowish) you can find colleagues with exactly the same 'packidge', one of whom claims that it's impossible to live life to the full and another who is sending home €1,200 a month.

12. When then the possible/unlikely/'you never know' meeting of 'overseasteachingtessers' get together and chat over beers, I will 1) be disappointed that yellow Clovis/maeve...etc doesn't show and 2) will drag you to the exit across the varnished floor by a limb of your choice if you speak like you write above.
    More likely, I shall just tell you to shut up.
    No offence..

13. stopwatch

Yes, correct. You could save up to £2000 per month.
    Salary here (Dubai) could be around £2600 pcm tax free. More if you have an allowance.
    Drinks are £6 a go so if you are going to party a lot then you aren't going to save as much.
    Cost of living (and drinks!) are much cheaper in Egypt.

14. stopwatch

I don't know if it is me, but there does seem to be a lot of detailed arty and literary referencing going on lately. I can't make head nor tail of it to be honest.
    There's a lot of it going on in the 'opinion' forum too.
    I guess it must be the intellectual version of these blokes who chat in the pub about football and know every goal that was scored for X club and by whom since the clubs inception, and can give insightful evaluations of playing and management styles. Again it goes over my head.
    And (can I start a sentence with 'and'?) before I get lambasted, I am not criticising, merely making an observation.
    I have great respect for anybody who has such in depth knowledge and understanding of classic literature and art. Just not my cup of tea that's all.

15. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

That's clear, thank you, stopwatch.
    And not unexpected. In any real or virtual gathering with a large population of Anglo-Saxon males, there will be blokes who regard it as essential to their self-esteem to proclaim their indifference to what they call 'culture'.
    And among such people, the placing of the arts on a par with sport is a common enough trope.
    And you're welcome, stoppers, to bring your own hobbies/concerns/passions to this most open and democratic of tables.
    And if I find them uncongenial, I will keep quiet about it and read someone else.
    And of course you can open one of your fascinating pronouncements with 'And'.
    After all, if Swift and Dickens and Virginia W...
    sorry, at it again.
    I have saved €674 this month. Now there's something interesting.

16. stopwatch

Like I said, observation not criticism (or sarcasm).
    It wasn't meant to give offence
    I can't help it if you take it as otherwise, and start giving out veigled (or not so veigled) insults.
    Congratulations on your savings by the way

17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Occasional commenter

Indeed, I find the rudery hard to take. So much talk of 'b@lls' is bad enough but when it comes to such obscenities as 'over', 'bat' and 'innings' I retire to the boundary (oops!) less like pouting young Achilles than elderly grumpy Rustum. Good to hear of las monjas cortadas. Father Jack would have enjoyed that.

18. Rubbish.
    Which Dude, you write a lot of. Plus a lot of insightful and interesting stuff. One minute, sound, interesting, informative, the next intellectual drivel.
    So (can I begin a...), it isn't easy to just ignore the drivel and separate it from the 'wheat'.
    Be nice now, I haven't decided yet which body part I'm going to drag you out by...

19. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

My words were meant in the same vein, a critical observation not an insult however disguised.
    No 'ard feelins and if you walk into the tacky Irish pub where I shall celebrate Friday this afternoon, I will lavish those savings upon you, and promise to discuss neither opera nor football.

20. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Well, it lit your fuse anyway, you sham autocrat, you.
    Once you have dragged me out by whichever feeble limb you choose, be sure to stamp and rake me with those studded boots of yours. I may be getting on in years, but I still enjoy a good old fashioned no-holds-barred rucking.