1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are all the Labour supporters.I don't hear too many cheers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Aug 15, 2019.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, it is known as an open border.

Of course. Just as there must be a border between Spain and Portugal, as otherwise you would not know where one country started and the other ended.

However, it is not essential to have controls on a border. For instance, goods frequently arrive by plane, and most airports are a long way from a country's borders. Customs checks have to be done at the airport freight terminals, usually many miles inland from the country's borders.

Another example previously quoted here are the customs facilities at Stop 24 on the M20 in Kent, where lorries can be checked by customs before crossing the channel - although actually 15 miles inlamnd from Dover.

You have confused the statement that there will be no hard border in Ireland for meaning that there will be no border on the island of Ireland. Nobody is suggesting that there will be no customs checks, They have said that there will be customs checks but that these will not take place on the physical border.

border_walker likes this.
  2. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I think olds is treating the words "childlike" and "infantile" as synonyms:
    It would explain why he hasn't replied to you.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, I'd be surprised if he had the answers! So a reply would be a waste of typing-time. Our PM certainly doesn't have the answer. Nor the government of the day. Nor do I.

I just wish they'd stop pretending it was simple and attempting to dupe the populace.

4. EmanuelShadrack

So would I. He has said however (in his reply to you):
    so maybe the elusive answers are to be found within his view, somewhere.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

As I read it @grumpydogwoman he thinks you described him as infantile. You said his expressed viewpoint was childlike.

I think those two things are very different.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

They are, are they not? Very different.

I usually select my words with care. :)

ilovesooty and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

I would say that they are indeed very different.

In my view "infantile" is synonymous with childish, but "childish" and "childlike" have totally different meanings.

grumpydogwoman and ilovesooty like this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Absolutely @EmanuelShadrack. The clear distinction between "childish" and "childlike" was in my mind too.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

That exactly describes my useage of those three adjectives. Thank you.

ilovesooty likes this.
  10. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

To return to the subject of the thread, and the "silence" of Labour, it doesn't help that there is almost no media coverage. Corbyn made a major speech on Brexit today, and it didn't even make one of the five BBC "headlines". So olds can be forgiven for thinking Labour have been silent when they have been anything but.

emerald52 likes this.
  11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It was covered live by the Guardian and others. Broadcast live on LBC.
    It was so underwhelming and probably did for his chances of leading a caretaker government. Whether or not that was the idea I can't tell. It does mean he won't go into the likely election as PM.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Some great deals can be had it you're gullible enough. How about a real on a car that knocks two grand off the price, so long as you sign up to a service contract that rips you off?

13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm sure the EU won't be conned into anything.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Well we're part of th EU at the moment and we've been conned into getting a bumpkin for PM, controlled by a psychopath, so I don't think you can be right about that, Jude.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You were not conned. You never voted for him so you cant really say that.
    Those who mattered, the membership and the party, voted for him.As to whether they were conned is debatable....after the failure of the last leader at least we have some action.
    You could argue Corbyn's a duffer as a leader,,,, but I never voted on him or joined his merry band as the cheapo membership joiners did. So far one could argue many things about him!