1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are all the Labour supporters.I don't hear too many cheers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Aug 15, 2019.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I am currently not as excited by the Labour Party as I have been. That doesn't mean that I much favour other parties of electoral weight. At the moment I see Mr Corbyn's offers as posturing which is unlikely to come to anything. I am also unsure whether long term political good would come of it even if it happened.

anotherauntsally likes this.
  2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

The electorate was assured that we would have no problems securing a great one and there was no need to consider the possibility of no deal.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Arguably true in 2016 as there was no expectation that Parliament would have to approve the Withdrawal Agreement. If it was left to government it would have been done already.

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The people who are causing the 'No Deal' problem are those who are 'opposed' to it.

Any serious negotiator knows that you don't go into negotiations showing all your cards.

As I've said many, many times before on here: no deal is not a thing. It is the absence of a thing.

There was no mention of 'No Deal' at the time of the referendum because only a fool would consider such a situation. It is only in the last couple of years that the neuro-linguistic trope 'No Deal' has surfaced.

Since I was a teenager I've run market stalls, held car boot sales and run small businesses. The people panicking over 'No Deal' can never have been in business or traded in any way. They are people on salaries. They are people who would give everything away in a trading situation and get nothing in return. They would be bankrupt in months.

Shouting and advertising that you will accept 'No Deal' is a sure way to destroy any bargaining power you have.

What we are really talking about in leaving negotiations without as deal. That is not saying that the position you hold is walking away with 'No Deal'.

There will always be a deal. But the dealing is done after you have secured your position.

Once you are in a position to trade.

Then you start dealing.

The salaried people have done real damage to our negotiations with the EU and before they have even started.

They have interfered and muddied the water with a term that is meaningless.

They then add to their panic by dreaming up all kinds of scenarios associated with their fantasy.

Meanwhile true negotiators work on the basis there will always be a deal.

There is subtlety in dealing. You don't show all your cards. You don't start making threats. You consider the position of the party that wants to trade with you, and you work on that basis.

We've had the prospect of a few deals with the E U and most have been bad because the salaried lot are talking loudly in the presence of the other party.

This because, having always just been content to be PAYE, they have no concept of business.

BelleDuJour and oldsomeman like this.
  5. 6331

6331 New commenter

But Corbyn does not want to stop Brexit - the Lib Dems have suggested they should try and unite behind the 2 elder parliamentarians - 1 Labour and 1 Tory. Corbyn would not command a majority in the House. There is a possibility that these 2 would and could then push for a 2nd referendum on No Deal or Stay. It is the only sensible offer out there

6. Jude Fawley

They're tearing themselves apart. Swinson will crash and burn. I feel sorry for them but I kinda knew how messy it would become.

I mean, these people are bad at business but they're even worse at politics. You wait until you've got your ducks in a row and then the strike. By going off half-cocked all they've done is alienate each other and lose voters.

7. LondonCanary

Corbyn will only back a 2nd referendum after a general election that returns a Labour government.

8. 6331

6331 New commenter

Has he said he will do this? When? labour have had so many different positions on Europe I really do not know what their current position is. I doubt Corbyn has the time to be PM - too busy picking out the splinters from his backside from sitting on the Brexit fence for so long

9. Jude Fawley

Corbyn's problem is all ifs and buts and no real clarity. It shows him up as being weak and the party not ready to move on anything. I've lived to see a Labour party in this state. All because they thought there was a fight to be had when there wasn't.

10. LondonCanary

In his letter Corbyn says his caretaker government would call a general election in which Labour would be “committed to a public vote […] including the option to remain”.

11. Jude Fawley

He also said Labour were ready to serve when we're all stuffed to the gills.

Or should I use a tennis analogy?

12. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

But Leader of the Official Opposition so get your facts right please.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  13. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Absolute nonsense. Again you have no evidence for this so I’m just pointing out your nonsensical post.

14. 6331

6331 New commenter

So what is Labours present policy on Brexit? I just cannot make them out

border_walker likes this.
  15. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

No, but he is the Leader of Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition, and that gives him first dibs at a caretaker government. Any other option is lacking in constitutional precedent.

16. MAGAorMIGA

(i.e. he lost it, but what's Corbyn supposed to do, frogmarch the likes of Kate Hoey through the lobbies in an armlock?)

17. MAGAorMIGA

And how many of them had an inkling of the economic damage to Britain and in many cases the loss of their own job and destruction, Thatcher-style, of their local community?

18. 6331

6331 New commenter

Which constitutional precedents are you referring to? And as we have no written constitution it is all a very hazy area

19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

You've got it in for "salaried people" haven't you?

Does that include teachers?

Do you refuse to take on work for "salaried people", out of principle?

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The only damage so far appears to be negative growth ( :confused: ) from the delayed exit. So Parliament to blame there...