1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are all the computers going?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by morrisseyritual, Oct 11, 2015.

1. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Recent TESS article states that Education Scotland is still discussing introducing nationwide iPads to pupils. Is this in any way viable given the inflexible format? Is this the reason RM and other school ICT providers seem to have wheeched PCs and laptops from most schools? My own place has dwindled from twenty computer rooms across the school (which was bad enough) to three mobile "notebook" buses and ten computer rooms.

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Hard cash will be the determinant factor if this is viable.

3. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

A nationwide 1:1 iPad deployment would be bold and exciting.

If RM have anything to do with, well, anything, it will be an unmitigated disaster and over priced to boot. Probably the reason PC's have started disappearing is that they are so old/rubbish they can only run Windows XP which the IT people want off the school network because of its security issues. Either that or money.

4. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Apart from the ICT classrooms and the tech ones we only have computers in the library and a couple of class sets of iPads which seem to be permanently booked by the English dept. We were discussing today how things have slid backwards (from a languages point of view) from the 70s and the days of language labs, the 90s and the PALE systems, now we have a couple of MP3 players and a set of teacher-bought speakers with terrible sound quality for listening... Ah, education. RIP.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I love my iPad but I still turn to something with a proper keyboard when I want to write anything of length. I do not understand the obsession with iPads in education.

6. missormizz

missormizz New commenter

iPads are terrific for personal use - but for sharing and device-to-device adaptability they become very tricky. I and a lot of other teachers find them brilliant but we need to look at it from pupil and parents' perspective - if they are taking them home, they are charging the battery, downloading apps etc. PCs in school and Glow (when used well - or at all) has nifty new features like MSOffice and other items barely anyone in my school knows about.

7. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

I think all the computers go to silicon heaven? At least that's where the toasters go.