1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are all of the cheap deals and discounts?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stopwatch, Feb 14, 2020.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter

We get free swimming sessions at certain times at our local council run leisure centre. (Over 60s)

2. AnotherDayTowardsRetirement

AnotherDayTowardsRetirement Occasional commenter

Gourmet Card costs £15 a year but gives you access to discounts on restaurant dining across UK and the world. Discounts apply to everyone dining with the cardholder so if you dine with 3 friends all 4 of you get the discounts.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

What range/how many restaurants are included?

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

And what level of discount?

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Just getting round to replying, sorry. I have just had a quick Google - can you buy a CSSC card if you are a retired teacher, but have never had one before? if so, do you have to prove that you were a teacher/how do you do this? Considering that a Tastecard costs £30-£40, it seems a steal to get a CSSC for £45!
    Thanks

sunshineneeded likes this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I got my CSSC card several years ago when they came to do a presentation to staff at school. I think CSSC is the (very) old Civil Service Sports and Social Club, which was for all civil and public servants. It seems very relaxed today - I'm sure you'd be able to join. Google them and enquire.

stopwatch likes this.
  7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Just looked at website and it does say 'working in civil or public service'. But it would be worth giving them a ring to enquire. I definitely get my money's worth from the £4.25 a month!

stopwatch likes this.
  8. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

You can get cheap opera and ballet tickets in a few places. At the Vienna Opera House, there is a large section for standing, or rather leaning against a padded rail, as there is a tradition of giving access to art to the masses in Austria. You have to queue up at a door on the left as you face the opera house. Tickets are just €4!! I've seen many world class productions here. The strange thing is, because of a bad back, I would prefer to stand rather than sit. Each standing room place also has a translator module.

Turn up 30 minutes before the start at the Warsaw Opera House, and you can get standby tickets for 44 Zloty, about £8. Seats down the front are only about fourty quid and actually worth splashing out for, but still, you can see world class ballet and opera for peanuts if you want or need to.

9. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Should be some cheap cruise offers around soon, if that's your thing.

emerald52 and ikon66 like this.
  10. maz403

maz403 New commenter

I signed up this morning no problem. Asked who my employer had been, who pays my pension and for my pension reference number. As you said with Taste Card and English Heritage it seems like a no brainer for under £4 a month !

sunshineneeded likes this.
  11. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

We use Meerkat movie vouchers as got car insurance through Compare the Market. We can see films on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at our local Vue, free parking, for only £4.99 for the pair of us as two for one. Obviously we go to see all the films we fancy.

12. dogpile

dogpile New commenter

CSSC is a new one for me. Checked the eligibility list and under S is State Schools. So no issues and joining today.

Unfortunately, B&Q have ditched their over 60's card.

13. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

That site looks interesting.