1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Where are all of the cheap deals and discounts?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by stopwatch, Feb 14, 2020.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Good Morning, One of the major benefits of being retired is having more time to yourself. Being able to do thing outside holiday times when things are quieter. However, for some/many of us, retirement income is quite restricted and cost plays a big part in how much/how little we are able to do.

I thought it might be useful for people to share any information which they have about sites/organisations which offer cheap deals for 'seniors' (by this I mean retirees) e.g. I read a lot bout people finding cheap deals on holidays, but can't seem to find any myself. Ditto many other deals for other activities.

Many reductions tend to be for over 65's and, of course, many of us aren't yet at this age, so I am particularly interested in offers for over 60's (or even lower than this for our early retirees)

I'm thinking particularly around, travel (not just holidays, but travel around UK), eating out, entertainment, social/sports groups and, of course, holidays.

For my offering:
    • 'Two Together' Railcard. Cost £30, gives around 30% reduction on all UK based rail fares
    • 'Senior Railcard' ditto the above for over 60's
    • 'Tastecard' costs £30 a year and gives discounts on many restaurants around UK. Mainly useful if you live in a larger town, but also if you are travelling within the UK a fair bit.
    • 'Tastecard Plus' ditto the above, but also gives cinema discounts and discounts for other activities too
    • Cinema discounts. Many cinemas have 'Senior' rates, but don't give an age for this. I queried at our local Cineworld and they gave for over 60's. However,they didn't ask for proof of age
    For me. these are the only ones I know. I am sure that there must be more out there. Over to you........

emerald52, PeterQuint and HRHHenry like this.
  2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Or £10 if you happen to shop at Tesco and use Clubcard points!

I doubt if this is of any use to anybody else, but the local athletics track, where some of the country's top sprinters have trained, charges us oldies £3 a session instead of £4.50. There must be a lot of places where you can get discounts like this. Some may want proof of age, though.

emerald52 and stopwatch like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Oh, I’ve just bought a Senior Railcard and didn’t realise I could use Clubcard points. I’ll have to remember when it’s time to renew.

4. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Getting an unlimited Cineworld card is also possible with Clubcard vouchers - £70 (ish) worth gets you a year's worth of films.

You can also combine it with the comparethemarket's 2-for-1 offer which means that on Tuesday and Wednesday for just the 75p booking fee two of you can go.

Going during the afternoon when the kids are at school is particularly pleasing for some reason ;)

(Oh and if you have a friend who already has a card get them to give you a code and you get 13 months instead of 12...if you don't have a friend use my code: RAF-57AK-34JL-46AY-54MK )

Piranha, Sundaytrekker and stopwatch like this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I know people keep an eye on Travelzoo and Secret Escapes for deals. Pubs and restaurants often do cheap lunches midweek - Ego for instance, and I'm sure there are others. I had a 3 course lunch for £10 recently.

Sundaytrekker and stopwatch like this.
  6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Bus pass. Free travel once you have qualified on age grounds. Some limitations: can't use express services and you may have to pay a flat fare in rush hour. Most of my passengers use the card. It's an English national scheme.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Is this over 65s?

8. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Over 60 for bus pass on Scotland

9. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

BnQ do a seniors discount once a week. I can't remember what day it is but then I suppose a lot of seniors can't remember what day of the week it is either ;)

10. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

It"s worth joining the Wizz Air membership thing, if you use them for more than four flights a year and live near an airport they use.

11. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I've used loveholidays for cheap breaks but mainly do my own thing. The great thing about being retired is that you can go away when you want so I look at budget airlines and plan holidays based around cheap flights.
    Like others I have used meerkat meals and cinema deals which has saved us money. Wowcher also does cheap deals. Quite a few of the pubs near us to meal deals for over 60s and they are chains so worth looking out for deals like that.

12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Vue cinema have Senior film times, usually midday or early afternoon. Think it's about £3 each and you get a cuppa and a biscuit!
    I've got a CSSC card, costs £4.25 a month. Have had it for years - you get free entry to quite a lot of English Heritage sites (not all of them), various shop, cinema and sporting event discounts and a free Tastecard. I think it pays for itself for me, I use the Tastecard quite a lot. I know there is more I could use it for, but I don't find the website very user friendly since it was all updated - I'm sure those more techy than me would whizz round it!

13. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Pensionable age, I think. Check your council's website.

14. heldon

Think b and q discount day is a wed.

We pay £35 for access to swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room, gym and classes like yoga, body pump etc that is for me and my wife!
    We can use our pass in Moray, highland region, western isles and the Northern isles.

So from Keith, to Stornoway and from Lerwick to Fort William.

Fantastic value and great when you are off on hillwalking camping trips.

The hillwalking is even cheaper, it is free and there are plenty munros, corbetts and donalds to climb in Scotland.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That's cheap! It's £48 for same deal in Aberdeenshire,still a good deal even at that price. I'm sure that I've read that the Moraycard can be used in Aberdeen too,@heldon. Strange how the Aberdeenshire one is not on the same linked scheme.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  16. heldon

It's called fitlife in Moray and high life in highland.
    I think they were having conversations about other cross authority agreements. I have written to Scottish Government and suggested that it would be so good to get th is going across Scotland. I have seen so much evidence that it pays for itself by keeping people out of the hospitals and doctors surgeries.

stopwatch likes this.
  17. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

And in London, also including underground trains at any time, and main line trains after 9:30am.

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

As mentioned above, you can get 2 for 1 cinema tickets with Cineworld, by buying any policy through Compare the Market.com.

The ruse, endorsed by that Martin Lewis, is to buy the cheapest travel insurance. I bought a policy for 1 night in the UK at a cost of a couple of quid. That qualifies you for the cinema tickets reward, and some cheap meals.

Don't forget, that you get the cinema discount for over 60s!

We always ask for "two wrinkly Meerkats tickets" at the box office.:) It costs about £8 for 2 tickets.

I've been doing this for years.

emerald52, Piranha and stopwatch like this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Love it! I must remember that one.

Dunteachin likes this.
  20. geoff1954

geoff1954 New commenter

Free bus pass over sixty in Wales. Also reduced price swimming. (It was free until a few months ago!)