1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by oldbutgreat, Jun 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. oldbutgreat

oldbutgreat New commenter

We were inspected recently (Feb 2018) with a short inspection (Section 8) and were rated good again. (Last Section 5 was 2013) However, in our new report it said that they recommend that our next inspection be a Section 5. The LA have said that that means they will definitely visit before the end of this term because they cannot allow a Good School to go for 5 years without a Section 5 (since that was recommended in the last report).

Does the Section 8 not count as an inspection during that 5 year period?

We are waiting for the call, hot and bothered, having had a few months to improve the things they asked us to.

I would welcome your thoughts/experience/knowledge.

2. mrcooldude

mrcooldude Occasional commenter

I can't imagine that is the case. My understanding is that schools have roughly 2 years before having a full inspection (if they have just had a short inspection) and it will be to see whether the school moves to Outstanding or Requires Improvement. You do hear of schools that get a short inspection and then get a full inspection only a few months after but this is rare.

oldbutgreat likes this.
  3. oldbutgreat

It is the absolute certainty that they HAVE to visit before the end of term that is confusing me. My head said it again today. They HAVE to visit in the next few weeks because otherwise we will be outside of our 5 year cycle. We were inspected Feb 2013 (Section 5) and Feb 2018 (Section 8).

Both my head and the LA seem to think that a Section 8 does not count and because a Section 5 was recommended, we will be inspected imminently. This is creating a lot of stress and anticipation. *sigh*

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

No.

You have had your section 8 and received 'good' in Feb 18. Section 8s were brought in for 'good' schools to replace the section 5.

If the Feb 18 report recommends that the next inspection be a section 5 then that will occur within two years. Depending on what the report said it could be to either determine the school, is outstanding or requires improvement or indeed good again.

Download the ofsted handbook to read.

oldbutgreat likes this.
  5. oldbutgreat

Thanks Digory, that's what I think. I have read the OFSTED handbook again and again and can't understand why we are preparing for OFSTED to come before the end of term. Not as a maybe but as a DEFINITE.

It's these new outcomes for Section 8s for Good schools. You either get a Good but you need a Section 5 next time or you get a Good. Or they go to 2 days and regrade you or, as happened locally, they were Good but they got a Section 5 anyway because they wanted more time to decide.

I guess I will find out soon enough!

6. digoryvenn

Try not to worry about it.
    Perhaps the head just wants everyone to keep working hard until the end of term with no 'slacking off'!
    Good luck.

7. oldbutgreat

2 day Inspection starting tomorrow.

8. mrcooldude

Ha! Unbelieveable. All the best.

9. digoryvenn

Oh no!
    How did that happen?
    Good luck!

10. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

and there was me about to type that the HT doesn't have a clue!!! Good luck!

11. mrcooldude

Of course, you're not allowed to share the verdict but generally were the staff pleased with the outcome? Fingers crossed for you.

TheBigPickle likes this.