1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When you take pre planned work - what to do other than worksheets?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Flowers19, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Flowers19

Flowers19 Occasional commenter

Good morning,
    I have just got feedback from a school i recently worked at - they weren't going to pay me as all i did were "worksheets". now these worksheets are what i have used in loads of schools before and actually have been used in classes i have covered set by the class teacher.

I know a lot of class teachers don't appreciate you working in their work books as well, so you end up using extra paper.

So other than worksheets, what else am i supposed to take?
    Are there any resources you could point me to?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm not being facetious, but if that is the case, perhaps you need to make them write on paper( could even be answers to the worksheet) and make sure you leave clear details of Lesson Objectives and feedback

3. Flowers19

Ha! Good point. Thank you :)

4. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Er, wot? Why are you taking resources?
    As it happens, I do take resources, on a stick - ie stuff of my own to supplement the work set in my subject, but only to supplement it, they should be providing the cover work!
    And don't get me started about them not wanting the kids to do cover work in their books..... If they set genuinely useful work, what is the problem with doing it in their books?

5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

You are not paid to provide resources. Don't go there again. You're being ripped off.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

In fact get in touch with your union about this and if you have time, message me privately on here. This is blatant non compliance.

7. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

The school should have provided you with the work, at secondary and this is normal for most primaries, or let you copy or use teaching resource text books. I suspect the school is doing a fast one and should pay you, because if they have done it to you, they have done it to others.

Again some schools say use the students books and others say used paper, because they don't want work done by a supply teachers in the student's books. I went to one school were one Head of Department said use the students exercise books and another said use paper, and this was in the same school! So it depends on the school and senior management.

pepper5 and peter12171 like this.
  8. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Having been on both sides of the supply issue, I'd say whethe work should be in books or paper can depend on the work set. Often it will sit in the SoW nicely and can be done in books; sometimes it is becessary to set something that is more of a one-off lesson, which ought to be done on paper.

wanet and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've met this and it is so difficult. However if given no info. I've always erred on the side of paper, as many teachers do get quite worried about 'inadequate work' (their words not mine!) in their books, or marked with the incorrect symbols/colour etc in case of a book scrutiny, so I just felt it safest.

10. Flowers19

Thank you everyone. I was really quite upset this morning. My agency have stated they will still pay me but take the hit themselves - which i don't think is fair.
    Have a got a leg to stand on with the union? Nearmiss how do i message you on here? Still quite new.

When i taught full time, I always planned ahead and it was always readily available if I was ever away or sick. I have no problem following the plans set by teachers - I mean, thats why we are here aren't we?
    I have always thought to do work separately as I have felt the brunt of a text book scrutiny and its soul destroying.
    I shan't be going there again - they were quite rude with me during break and not one person there spoke to be.

11. PizzoCalabro

I have got a bit more hard headed about this, and recently emailed the HoD for a school that I often work in. Should be book, because pupils understand that this 'real work' if done in their books. Also, paper is misused ( drawing/scrunched up into missiles/litters the room)
    If 'cover work' has no value, come clean, and don't set it. I have plenty of schools that do want to make the best use of their children's time - I an then go there instead.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. PizzoCalabro

Also.. had an email today from a school that I approached re direct work offering me work after Easter.
    This will tip the balance agency/direct, so with luck next term will not need the agencies and insist on proper professional set-up. Which will exclude 'work on lined paper'

13. Flowers19

How do i go about contacting schools directly? Is there another thread for this?

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If you search this site using the search function, you should find a thread on how to contact schools directly.

15. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

When I did supply, each book I marked I would also add 'marked by supply'. Now as a permanent teacher I also add this to my books for when we have a book trawl.

16. Flowers19

Yes I have been in schools where I have marked it "as supply" but the work has already been set you see. Perhaps next time, if there is time, i can liaise with other members of staff and see if there is any particular policy. Funny though, as the TAs both photocopied sheets for me and didn't say a word...