1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When you got your first nqt post did where you completed your pgce matter?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by artgeek, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi Nqts... When you got your first nqt post did where you completed your pgce matter? Did at any point in the interview process anyone say oh you went to Xxxx they are great! Im about to send off my application for pgce and am struggling between a uni close to home, as I have young kids or another which is a good hour and a half away drive but a great reputation.

2. Hi artgeek,
    I have never had any comment on where I did my PGCE during the interview process or after.
    Hope that helps.
    Good luck
    Fiona

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

What does matter is the quality of the PGCE- in particular the schools you would have placements in. Many NQTs do land work in the schools they have taught in as students but more than this as the majority of PGCE is spent in schools then the school placements have a direct influence. Check out the employment rates from the 2 universities the Good teaching Guide gives statistics on most courses.

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hiya, I have been to 5 interviews and not once did the subject of where I studied my PGCE come up.
    But I would say the most important factor is ensuring you choose a provider who will give you a good PGCE experience and the relevant opportunities to develop.
    I trained at a SCITT provider across two schools and feel that my PGCE did not prepare me adequately for my NQT. Mainly because at my second placement school my mentor was a control freak and didn't really let me loose with anything. She wouldn't even give me any marking to do!! I also had a terrible first placement experience with a nasty mentor who would shout at me. I brought all these issues up with my provider and they did nothing and were uninterested, commenting that these challenges were 'character building' and would prepare me for working with awkward people as a teacher. (Trainees from the local university had similar problems and their university moved them schools, this shows how providers vary in what they feel is best for trainee teachers).
    We had the option to complete the PGCE at either level 6 or level 7 (Masters level). The school job applications I have completed do not ask for you to specify which option you took and this has never come up in an interview either!! The schools are mainly interested in your ability to teach well and your performance during interview on the day.

5. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

In my job interview I don't remember being asked, and I don't think anyone in my department knows/cares where I tried (likewise i couldn't give a toss where they trained).it just isnt important anymore when you hit the classroom,so i would look at the structure of the course and base it on that xxxx

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It's not something that would come up in the interview process but when our department last recruited, it was apparent that one of the local colleges was favoured over others, not least because of the quality and honesty of references they supply. Really it's your degree that matters more but I think some schools do consider the PGCE. My last school wouldn't employ GTP teachers because they felt that they didn't fit in as well as PGCE students and yet that was based on the experience of only three NQTs one year so you can't predict what schools are going to think. Their opinions will be shaped by experience of applicants in the past as well as the reputations of the colleges. The distance of the college is less important than the distance of the placement schools, so take that into account.

7. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I was never asked. In my opinion the quality of the placement school you are put in and your mentors are far more important than the teaching on the PGCE. I also think that the student's ability and willingness to get the most out of their placements and PGCE is far more important than either: I recognise that there are other factors but to a certain extent you get out what you put in.

8. Thanks everyone for your feedback. i hadnt actually ever seen the complete ratings listings at the back of the Teacher Training Guide from the uni of buckingham. Thankfully Ive just found it and my number one choice is third from bottom! Needless to say it is no longer my first choice. Im going to go with a small Scitt as all feedback seems to be positive and it rates well. My other 2 choices rated well so phew! Will be sending off at the end of the week. Thanks so much!