1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When you feel you've lost the class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by bertsgirl, Mar 3, 2017.

1. bertsgirl

bertsgirl New commenter

Hi I would really like some advice & help with my current class. I have a few children, probably only about 5 of them, who can cause almost constant disruption. I feel I'm stuck in a very negative cycle of stopping, correcting behaviour, demanding quiet & they just keep talking over me. They can be very well behaved with other teachers & even the Ta when she is in charge, it's worst with me. I know it's because they are all much more positive & im anxious and on edge about it. I try to praise good behaviour, I follow the school behaviour policy & they are collecting marbles in a jar to earn extra play but I don't feel we're getting anywhere, in fact it seems to be spreading. One of the boys has a hero like status among the children and others will laugh and encourage him when he's being disruptive. He has a behaviour chart which is starting to help but he doesn't always sustain it. When he's being disruptive it's very difficult - he will call me names, he's thrown pencils and rubbers at me & he talks over me a lot. The head is supportive for now but I need to sort this as its affecting the learning and progress of the class. They are only year 2, it's ridiculous to feel this way but it does feel like me v them some days. I have a Ta who is very experienced and very good, she will move between the worst offenders to keep them listening when I'm speaking. When she's out of class it's almost impossible to teach. Help please!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I guess you're a new teacher? It takes a while to learn one's craft and that includes handling behaviour.

First question. What consequences were/are there for throwing rubbers at you, calling you names? The longer this child is allowed to think he can continue with this behaviour the more likely it is it will escalate and spread.

If he talks over you, you must stop and wait. Yes this will take a while, but honestly time taken now to 'wait' will pay dividends later in the year.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. bertsgirl

bertsgirl New commenter

No I'm not new to teaching but this level of disruption is new to me. I have always lacked confidence, although I've had very good results and feedback before, and I know this makes me more anxious, defensive and negative than a more confident teacher maybe. I know I need to wait for quiet but it hasn't worked when I've done that. As soon as one group is quiet another one starts. I put marbles in the jar & take them out again! I have sent children to the head which is the only thing they seem to bother about but I don't want to keep doing that. I've involved parents but they behave the same way or worse at home and the parents weren't much help. They miss minutes of play for each disruption but they really need to run off their energy at play. I feel this doesn't help much.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

How long do you wait?
    I seem to remember one lesson years ago I waited 25 mins! :eek: Every time they started talking I started from the beginning. Eventually they did get bored but I wondered at one point if they ever would. They had then to make up that time later.

One 'technique' I used on supply was not only to wait, but to look very obviously at my watch. Once it got to a minute I'd write it down on the board. they soon got the idea they were losing playtime and the 'good ones generally started to 'shussh' the others.Everytime anyone disrupted, i started timing again.

It will take a while to get them there and sometimes one never quite achieves what one wants, but generally consistence generally wins out long-term.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I've done this. It works if you keep at it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.