1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when Year R start full time

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by catmitsi, Jun 29, 2011.

1. My son is 5 in September and due to attend school for the first time. We went to his induction meeting to be told that he will not start full time school until the end of that month. As a teacher this gives me a total nightmare of child care and I was told by the head that as he would be in by the beginning of the 4th Week there was nothing I could do. Does anyone know of a legal way to counter this as he is Staturory schoola ge from the 13th and therefore should he be in school from there?

2. I thought it was the term after their 5th birthday, so that would mean Spring 1(after Christmas) was when he would have to be in full time.
    Mine are in full time from day 1 as most of ours were in full time nursery and working parents so the head thinks that is best ! I haven't found to many difficulties apart from us all (children and staff) being totally worn out by hometime !!!

3. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

lazydaisy is right, statutory school age is the term after a child's 5th birthday, not the term their birthday is in.
    Most schools can be flexible for parents in your position and many would start your child sooner rather than later. If your son's school won't budge ask them if they have childminders that work with the school, do you have parents who could help out or come and stay with you during these difficult weeks?
    It's not too late in the day to choose another school, although you may not want to go down that route. There is nothing you can do legally though, but if you talk to the Head again, hopefully he will be more flexible.

4. butterfly-blue

butterfly-blue New commenter

Hi
    As of September, in our school parents will be entitled to request a full time place from day one. However, I don't know if this depends on your local authority guidance.

5. Hi

I am told by our authority that Nationally as of Sept, every parent is entitled to have their child in school on the first day of the school term regardless of their age- unless a school has given parents notice- say within admission, acceptance or Induction that they intend to have a phased entry. So we have had to put on our school web page and a note in our admissions policy and in our prospectus that we have phased entry- week 1 home visits, week 2- part time, week 3- also part time, week 4- longer part time and week 5 full time.

If a school has not given prior notice, ie at the time of applying for a place, then a parent is entitled to demand a full time place as of day 1 that all children are in school and the school have to be ameenable!

Luckily our LEA told us in time, otherwise I think my parents would have had them in during my home visits weeks!

Am i wrong in thinking that schools now should only be offering one term of entry- and that if parents decide to keep them of till the term after they are five then that is up to them! I might have misunderstood!

6. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

All of mine will be offered F-T from day 1 this year due to a change in LEA policy. A school where I used to work were quite flexible and used to offer people in your position, say, 3 full days rather than 5 half days ... I sense though - from your conversation with the head - that this school isn't going to buy that one.
    I completely sympathise. My neighbour's children did a bizarre combination of mornings, afternoons, going in late and staying for lunch then leaving part way through the pm. Bizarre!
    As others have said it's not too late to look for another place but you might feel that the pros for the school out-way the cons. Friends in a similar position have kept their child's nursery place p-t and paid for a taxi to collect the child form school and take them to nursery. Hardly ideal I grant you. I suppose that you don't have lovely grandparents who might step into the breach, even if it meant coming to stay? Other friends who might share the days with you?
    Good luck.