1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHEN WOULD YOU EXPECT RECIEVE YOUR FLIGHT DETAILS ETC FROM A NEW SCHOOL?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by the hippo, May 18, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My present school sent me the flight details at the last minute. A two-hour flight from Sofia to Athens on an incredibly noisy TURBOPROP aircraft, then hanging around Athens for ages, followed by an okay flight to Abu Dhabi and another wait, this time for five hours! Finally, finally we got onto our flight for Qatar. When we arrived in Doha, we then had a two-hour wait outside our apartment, as the man with our keys had disappeared. Oh the joys of international education!

2. wowwwwwwww that sounds like a secret mission they had you on there hippo! I suppose it does add to the fun. More great stories to tell the friends back home and laugh at afterwards.

I am probably being a daft worrying about when i will get my flights. I'm generally very laid back but I think i feel once i have my flights booked in my mind i know the jobs concrete. I have heard so many stories of people being told thanks but no thanks at the last minute and they are left in a very difficult position.

Thanks for all your advice and experience ladies and gents! : )

3. I received my ticket only 2 weeks before departuture for my previous job and 3 weeks before departure for my first international post. This caused me some concern at the time but everything was fine in the end. Some HR departments are simply more efficient than others.

4. For one position I was given a rough indication of the week I would be flying and then two days beforehand I was sent the ticket with the actual date, and time.

5. I received my flight details today.

August 3rd, Bangkok here I come!

6. All my new staff have their Etickets for August.

7. 576

576 Established commenter

Not my experience but that of a colleague.
    They recieved a phone call from their new employer asking why they weren't on the flight.
    The answer was simple - they had booked a ticket for her - but neglected to tell her about it!!!!!!