1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When will the medical profession acknowledge that we're in 21st Century??!!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Twinkles, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Three weeks ago, I saw my Consultant again and yet I am still waiting for a letter from her to my GP!
    Last time, when I was waiting to hear whether I had cancer, I got so fed up of waiting that I called her secretary who was able to give me the good news because she had typed the letter that day, although it hadn't been signed or sent yet and that was three weeks after my initial meeting with her!
    I really struggle to understand why, in these days of email and instant communication, doctors still cling to this archaic method of communication. Does anyone out there have any justification for it?
    [​IMG]

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Three weeks ago, I saw my Consultant again and yet I am still waiting for a letter from her to my GP!
    Last time, when I was waiting to hear whether I had cancer, I got so fed up of waiting that I called her secretary who was able to give me the good news because she had typed the letter that day, although it hadn't been signed or sent yet and that was three weeks after my initial meeting with her!
    I really struggle to understand why, in these days of email and instant communication, doctors still cling to this archaic method of communication. Does anyone out there have any justification for it?
    [​IMG]

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Data security perhaps?
    I don't understand it either.

4. Drives you bloody mad, and that can't be good for your health. When my CT scan results hadn't come through after weeks, I rang the hospital dept and there they were on the computer; the nurse could have read them to me but wasn't allowed to.
    Ridiculous.

5. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Well, today I finally got my letter and found out just how long it takes for a Consultant to communicate with a patient and their GP using snail mail:
    clinic date: 02.02.11 letter typed: 14.02.11 letter posted 24.02.11 letter received 26.02.11
    Twelve days to type a letter is bad enough, but another ten days before it gets into the post??? I suppose I should be glad that it only took two days to get to me, considering it was sent second class!
    Unbelievable!

6. I'd like to commiserate but stomach cancer CT scan date 9th June, follow-up appt 7th July; when CT mistakenly showed nothing abnormal, next appt 10th Aug? It doesn't make it right but it might make you feel less victimised.
    Sucks. Really, get officially complaining. That's when things started to move for me.

7. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

Bluddy hell! That's appalling Lily. I'm really sorry for moaning now! How are you?

8. Oh no don't feel bad for complaining! That's what they count on. I felt bad for complaining when every clinic saw me surrounded by yellow papery skeletons who were bloody obviously in a worse way than me, but do I really have to wait until I look like them before I complain? I said in every complaint "I do not want to jump the queue. I only want information that you already have." But things being as they are, merely complainign pushes you up there. Survival of the fittest to complain.