1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When we look back, will people wish they got out while they could?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by gafleecey, Mar 25, 2020.

1. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice
    As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

what do you mean when we look back? Thousands of people are desperately wishing they had got back to the UK when they could, or do you mean out of the UK?

towncryer likes this.
  3. 576

576 Established commenter

My local embassy has advised that residents stay put.

We have fewer restrictions here than the UK and less panic buying so I'm okay as long as my parents are...

yasf and towncryer like this.
  4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

There must be millions in the UK wishing they took the chance to get out of the country when they could.

Looks like ski resorts in Italy and Austria put profits before people's health by covering up cases of infections that would have emptied the hotels, bars and restaurants if known.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    yasf and TeacherMan19 like this.
  5. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

I have no where to get back to. This is my home.

sazad99, TeacherMan19 and towncryer like this.
  6. HeroForTheDay

HeroForTheDay Occasional commenter

It's not really as simple as that though... many of us, myself included, have partners from the part of the world they live in. It's not like we can just up-sticks and leave everything and everyone in our lives behind to return to blighty. The only reason I would have went back is if one or both of my parents got sick. Otherwise I'd rather wait it out where I am

Helen-Back likes this.
  7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sure, many will. But as made clear above, it’s not that simple. You’ve got tons of people wishing they were anywhere other than the UK. And tons who are far safer where they are, even if separated from larger family. Tons more like me, who laugh darkly at the question. I have no interest at all in going, quite happy to stay and see it out, and anyway, there is no obvious place to go. With family all over the world, a mix of passports that literally make it impossible for us to all be in the same country, and no residence other than here, it’s good that I’m happy to stay.
    Just because some people will have regrets for staying, so what. Others will have regrets for going, when they or accompanying family get sick or worse. Or they spend weeks or months locked down, when they could have had an easier life if they had stayed put.
    It’s too soon to look back in regret.

Alice K, Helen-Back and towncryer like this.
  8. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I had no real choice.

Zero cases to full lockdown and borders shut in one week. (The lockdown had 4.5 hours notice)

...but as others have said this is my home...where would I go?

mermy, towncryer and Corvuscorax like this.
  9. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

We left Indonesia-got out just in time. Local healthcare is bad at the best of times and it won't be long before it is completely overrun. Civil unrest could follow- not unusual for Indo. I'm from UK, but wife is Thai so we went back to Thailand. Things are getting bad here- so who knows if it was a good decision. Uk was not an option- living in a hotel for 3 months would be unbearable. And anyway we have online classes. Teaching throughout the night with the 7 hr time difference would kill me before Covid did.
    Keep safe everyone.

towncryer, Helen-Back and suem75 like this.
  10. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

The advice is directed at those "travelling" e.g. business or holidays, not people who have residence in another country. My home is here, yes we are in lockdown, yes it's a strain and yes it's worrying but the last thing I'd want to do is travel right now or risk bringing the virus to my parents for example.

towncryer, lottee1000, rouxx and 3 others like this.
  11. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

Where is home?

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  12. mr1303

mr1303 New commenter

If I had gone home, I wouldn't get paid, and I wouldn't be able to work, and I'd just be stuck in my elderly parents' house for 3+ months.

Here, I can still go to restaurants and the beach (although I have to wear a face mask). The limitations are mild irritation rather than anything worse.

towncryer likes this.
  13. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Our situation was made more complicated by the fact that the outbreak began in China during CNY and we were out of the country, as were many others, but some members of our family stayed in GZ.

Although having said that, their experience in China was/is somewhat better than ours currently in the UK. No new cases for some time, although the risk of re-infection through returnees still an issue, clear rules, no shortages, and a well resourced and staffed health service!!

We will be returning as soon as we can get a flight that doesn't cost thousands and take two days!! As we can do the compulsory isolation in our own apartment, as long as we don't test positive!! In shah Allah!!

14. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

High % of our community does not call the UK home. It's particularly hard for those who doesn't have anywhere to stay at for a good period of 2-5 months.

As I continue to be reminded by many of my ME friends...

"Please.. We survived The Gulf War where the country could have been blown up or invaded immediately."

No need to panic or start having any regrets.

towncryer likes this.
  15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

For us, Bulgaria is home.

Mrs. Hippopotamus and her overweight husband have gone to their country house, about 60kms north of Sofia. The village is deserted and, unlike the British countryside, the fields and the forests around our house are empty. I am supposed to be going back to school on 29th March, but somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

If you would like to know more about our recent activities, then you can of course read my blog bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

Like lots of other teachers around the world, I have been adapting (or rather trying to adapt) to the challenges of teaching online. It is just not the same as "the real thing", but we just have to make the best of it and of course it is better than nothing. Some of my students have responded in a very positive way to online teaching. While Google Classroom works pretty well with Google documents, it is pretty much useless when your students send you PDFs, JPG photos of their exercise book and other kinds of files.

16. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Not sure what kind of package your school is using. Sounds like the budget version. But GC can accommodate all of the types of documents you mentioned including videos, audios, links and live documents... You can also highlight and pin-point certain areas of work, comment or give them feedback on the document or via PM.

17. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

I fully appreciate that home is in different parts of the world for some of us.

What worries me is that some people may find themselves somewhere where their visa and health insurance depends on an employer who may not be in business in future, or where society remains shutdown for extended periods later in the year.

I worry for those people.

BlueHues likes this.
  18. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I'm american and can't imagine a worse place to be. All those gun totin' toilet roll hoarders are going to go ballistic soon and it'll be friggin Waco all over again.

19. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Some will wish they go out and gone back to their home countries - some did that and are now regretting it as they're stuck in lockdown there away from their friends and families - albeit in closer proximity.

Some are happy they haven't gone anywhere as they see the rest of the world declining.
    Just depends on your view and what you're after.

I'm glad I didn't go back to my home country - it looks rubbish and chaotic at the moment.

towncryer and TusitalaH like this.
  20. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

Upload them as Google Files and then it’s easier Mr Hippo. Also, if you have time- Google Educator Level 1 course is well worth the $6.