1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When we hear of someone's unsuccessful job interview, driving test failure...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Sep 21, 2016.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

... need to readdress QTS as an NQT, or someone who's been deemed to fail a lesson observation due to abstract or subjective lesson observations, many of us here are supportive of developing strategies to adapt, learn, progress and persevere.

What will we be saying to 11+ "failures" who's entire future will be based on the perception of their intelligence at one particular rather early stage in their life?

2. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

"You can take it again in two years' time and see if the other school might be the best place for you"?

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The same test again? Surely not, that would enable coaching.

What about work missed during the 2 years at the "higher level", how would they hope to catch up? Would teachers reteach it?

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

(Wo) Man up?

Seriously, did or do kids really take it so badly? If so - why?????

(Remember too that right now you also have to consider what is being said to the poor kids who otherwise could have had a great break and possibly enhanced riches but were denied it so as not to hurt the feelings of others. A whole generation of them)

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

A lot may well depend on where the child's friends are going... And what type of schools those on offer are (FWIW my younger child preferred to go to a co-ed school, which meant a nonselective one, not a grammar.)

slingshotsally likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Something like "You now have the chance to turn out like Piers Linney, Gordon Ramsay, Alan Sugar, Morrisey, Cliff Richard or any of those other multi-millionaires who failed their 11+"? o_O

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Set up a free school.
    After all, England needs a more fragmented and more complicated system with more people bidding for limited funding. And the schools for the kids who fail and whose parents don't care which school they go to, seeing them all as an enemy, will be just dandy and not targets for those wishing to abuse or recruit young people at all, oh no.

needabreak, nomad, racroesus and 2 others like this.
  8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

oh, I dunno.Maybe labelling kids as a failure at the age of 11 is just such a nasty, unnecessary and cruel thing to do?

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

That depends on whether you equate intelligence and success with money.

10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think the point is that success (however you measure it) depends more on the individual than on his or her teachers and school.

It's often said that success only comes after experiencing failure:
    http://99u.com/articles/7072/why-success-always-starts-with-failure

kareneliot and slingshotsally like this.
  11. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You make it sound like those who fail their 11+ are marched off to some incinerator. They have every chance at becoming happy in their lives without attending a grammar school.

sabrinakat and midnight_angel like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Let's not have the 11+.

Let's just make all schools more open to new ideas and get away from the notion that A*s in Maths, English, Science and other ebacc subjects is an admirable achievement. It MAY be. If it came as the result of natural flair and going to a private school with very small classes followed by extra-tuition in the holidays? Maybe not so much.

What about craft and design? Music? Making things?

Why is our focus so narrow?

Grammar school was great for me. Not so sure about my peers who weren't good at Latin. Or Physics. Or Maths.

English wasn't respected as a subject because we were all reasonably good at it.

And if you were demoted to Cookery? :eek: I expect that hurt a lot.

This country remains a hotbed of social and intellectual snobbery. Not as bad as it was. But still bad. I blame Gove for the fact we haven't made more progress in recent years.

upload_2016-9-22_9-55-4.png

And yes. I do want to punctuate the cartoon and make a grammatical correction. Which is quite sad.

13. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

It is. No doubt about it.

14. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

That certainly negates the arguments for Grammer schools..

needabreak likes this.
  15. kareneliot

Not really as like minded individuals create a critical mass, a peer pressure to achieve. My daughter would have cruised through a comp with lower expectations.

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Well, stop doing it.

kareneliot likes this.
  17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

What would I be telling the kid who 'failed' the 11+? Something like: "Well, if you're intelligent then you'll get on in life without it. And if you're academically thick you wouldn't be able to keep up at a grammar school anyway. But even if you ARE academically thick (which I doubt), there's hundreds if not thousands of other ways to measure intelligence. So now this gives you the chance to find out where you are BRILLIANT without all the pressure of ticking boxes for someone else. This frees you up to explore and find out what you are good at and what you enjoy. And then you can do it."

18. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Bless. I think you actually believe it.

19. kareneliot

I know her better than you. Indeed, I suspect you don't know her at all, as she never spoke of her teachers as being patronizing.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The rebellion is why we have such obesity.