1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When was "the time of your life"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Sep 25, 2020.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

With this focus on first year students at university, I keep hearing them being told that it should be "the time of their lives". My first year in higher education was certainly no such thing - i was a bit lonely, lacking in confidence, a bit disorientated, not sure of which was my "tribe" and my college was pretty ropey anyway - a lot of poor teaching as I look back. I was more free than I had ever been which was a good thing and I wasn't unhappy but it wasn't easy.

To be quite honest, I'm happier now, at 69, than at some other parts of my life but I also have happy memories of the years when the boys were small and i was a stay at home mum. At every stage I have broadly been happy, although work interfered in a negative way more than once.

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I empathise a lot, lindenlea, regarding going to university.

But I remain eternally grateful that the powers-that-be paired me with a girl from a similar background to share a room, and her contacts with the university Methodist Society (I was a Methodist anyway) meant that from Day 1 I had a group of people to which I could belong. Once I'd grown in confidence within that group, then my university years were the best of my life - along with now, having taken early retirement and enjoying every day of 'playtime'.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am not sure if I did not have several moments in my life?
    As a young man involved in church life, I was always in the deep end working in the church and the youth group and club we ran. It was a happy, but at times hard work.
    As an older man in bible college where involvement meant the closed group, I belonged to brought good times and involvement.Many many happy memories began
    My career in teaching at the beginning was so exciting.. The school was good, the staff full of life and the staff room buzzed with all sorts of activities and trps we used to go on.Six years went by so quickly.
    Working my own firm brought me huge happiness. I was so content and although working hard i felt life was good. Destroyed by the policy of a government!

nomad and Alice K like this.
  4. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Uni? Time of your life??!!! Hated it. A girl in halls threw lighter fluid over my door and tried to set it alight - while I was in my room. Drunken shenanigans. Apparently. Why I didn't report her to the police, or anyone, I'll never know or forgive MYSELF. Horrible uni, hated the course. Finally got in with a lovely group of friends who all moved away after we'd finished. Not in touch with anyone now.

On a much happier note, I could well be having the time of my life now! Fabulous children, dogs, OK husband. Yup. Good Times!

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I could probably take little bits from my entire life up until now and pinpoint them as being great, but tbh I can't think of any decade, or era, that stands out. I'm in my forties right now. Moments and individual memories over the years, yes. A clump of time in one go, no.

6. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

2nd year at University, fantastic I shared a house with a group I am still friends with 40 years later. 3rd year half of them were on the continent as they were language students so not quite so great but still.good. Great times when the girls were small as in preschool. First couple of years of teaching were wonderful

lindenlea likes this.
  7. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

My university days weren't the time of my life. I really wanted to be a teacher and saw uni as a means to an end. I probably had a better social life during my 6th form days.
    I loved teaching in the early part of my career and it kept me sane through a difficult marriage.
    I'm very happy and settled now, enjoying early retirement with husband number 2. I have a small group of close friends who I've known since secondary school and my parents, though elderly, are reasonably fit and independent. So I'm probably having the best time of my life at the moment (apart from the worries of Covid).

emerald52, sabrinakat, nomad and 3 others like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I enjoyed my undergraduate years at Poly, including meeting Mrs MSB. I hadn't planned to go there - I got in at the last minute with average 'A' Level grades that weren't good enough for the Uni course I'd hoped for. I got on with most of my housemates, one of whom I'm still in touch with.

My PGCE year was more serious, professional and dull, with hardly any frivolity. The time I remember least about was ages 14-18 at Upper School - most of the rest of my life was better than that. I was a mess as a teenager, and was glad to turn 20 and be done with it all. Up to age 13 I was quite a happy little chap, so it must have been the hormones.

Teaching had its ups and downs, as has parenthood, and I've definitely enjoyed life more since retiring from teaching.

nomad, lindenlea and BertieBassett2 like this.
  9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I agree with you @littlejackhorner - I'm probably happier now than I've been for a long time. Mortgage free, Teachers' pension, new granddaughter, lovely family and friends. However, this is very much tempered by losing my husband ten years ago. My working and parenting life were full on and eventful - not at all relaxing except when on holiday! We also made some unwise house purchases, resulting in losing quite a bit of money. So I would opt for my life now but I do have very fond memories of my last year at Uni (well Poly, but it's a Uni now!) This was 1979 - 1980 in London and my course was most enjoyable (English and French,) The year started with a month in Vichy to gain fluency in French - not sure it did that but I made some amazing friends of different nationalities. Pre social media, the friendships fizzled out, but not the memories. I was on track for a 2:1 but then caught chicken pox in May and had to sit my exams at home (with a tutor 'guarding' me.) That was a low point but I bounced back and took a TEFL course and found work in a language school in South London for a month before starting my PGCE in Canterbury. Added to which the music scene was quite exciting. Happy days!

10. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

The last ten years - got divorced and ended up working overseas. Had so many adventures and made some fantastic friends.

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I was going to put "never", until i read through the above and realised many were as miserable as me.

Flowersinspring likes this.
  12. WB

WB Star commenter

I think many young people are under pressure to be "seen" to be having the time-of-their-life on social media.

They must post pictures of themselves in amazing places, with amazing people doing amazing things.

If you're not in with in-crowd then seeing all over social media appearing to be having the time-of-their-life must be even harder to take I'f, like me, you're never part of the group.

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Lol.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've never really been unhappy.

Sad - but true.

smoothnewt and lindenlea like this.
  15. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Moved overseas 17 years ago at age 40 for a 2 year break from UK schools. Best decision ever. Have worked out that I could just about afford to retire...but I don’t want to!

lindenlea likes this.
  16. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

The period when Penny Lane was in the charts in 1967: my first really serious physical relationship, when appetite and stamina matched.....

Nanny Ogg, xmal and nomad like this.
  17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

TMI, @Katzenjammer . TMI...

18. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I think that unless you live in misery for your entire life, or at least a significant part of it, this is true of most people. Life is a series of phases, some involving more responsibility than others, but each phase brings new opportunities to make it enjoyable.

When I reflect back over each phase of my own life, I wouldn't say the time spent in early adulthood where I was out every night, either playing in a band or listening to one, dating, wining and dining and taking advantage of all that London offered was better than the time I spent settling down as a married man, making a home and raising a child. I wouldn't say that was better than the time I spent in the NHS where I was given a free hand to be technically creative or the time I spent running my own business, which gave me absolute freedom to choose how I went about it and be answerable to nobody other than myself.

I don't have the vocabulary to succinctly express how wonderful it is to be free to decide for yourself how many hours you work or how you go about it. For me, work whist running my own business was as much a hobby as it was earning a living. I put in more hours than I did as an employee, but it didn't feel like work. Perhaps our dear friend @Katzenjammer, whose vocabulary is excellent and probably on a par with Will Self's, will be able to help me out.

Anyhow, we are the product of our life experiences. The bad times as well as the good. We should value them all, because it's the bad times that help us realise what the good times are and help us progress through life's rich tapestry in more meaningful ways.

19. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Ah, come off it!

coffeekid likes this.
  20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Mental pictures and all that.

lindenlea likes this.