1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When was the term develop replaced by the word grow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by needabreak, Nov 3, 2015.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I appear to have missed the memo that states that one now grows a career or grows your business instead of developing it... feeling out dated :( am I alone?

e.g.

"After months of development and user-testing in The Economist Media Lab, we’re excited (and maybe a little nervous) to invite you to join our brand new platform for lifelong learners looking to develop their skills and grow their careers."

should that last sentence not have ended "looking to develop their skills and careers"?

:confused:

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Might growing your career be an oblique reference to the manure that many CVs are comprised of these days?

3. josienig

josienig Star commenter

If applied to developing a career in teaching, a lot of manure of different varieties can be thrown at you , so growing is quite appropriate. The more adept you are at absorbing the manure, the better the growth. Supposedly.

kibosh likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It does sound odd to the ear although it appeals to the gardener in me.

needabreak likes this.
  5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They'll be selling careers in packets soon like nasturtium seeds.

needabreak and kibosh like this.
  6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

At least "grow" reflects career aspirations ... bigger salary! more power!

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's to make it sound lovely and organic rather than soulless and capitalistic.

Your business is your ickle flower/child/tomato plant.

needabreak and kibosh like this.
  8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

No heads were brutally mashed into the floor in the growing of this career. None.

racroesus likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I don't see a career as 'growing'. A business? Could do.

A career is linear. A business may not be.

A teaching career is a rather spindly plant that eventually just goes splat.

[​IMG]

kibosh likes this.
  10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It also implies that a career once 'planted' in the right 'soil' will flourish without any personal effort.

11. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I'm not sure that I agree. Plants put a great deal of effort into growing, even in the right soil. They're continually battling against disease, competitors, the local environment...hmm, a bit like some jobs, really.

needabreak likes this.
  12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

They do, but the person who planted them, their job is largely done. Plant plant, let nature take it's course. That's what I meant. In the phrase 'grow your own career' is the careerist the plant, the planter or both?

13. needabreak

Crumbs I didn't realise there were so many interpretations, and I'm not sure I like the manure ones @Duke of York and @josienig, mainly because as a keen gardener I find manure very useful especially chicken poo, but the kind that is thrown around sometimes in relation to teaching/careers is destructive in every way; as for the CV's they really should be more reality than fantasy shouldn't they!

@kibosh, I suspect you agree that on the contrary careers don't always grow independently of specific plans and action (although for the lucky few they may well do), but on the whole it takes input to effect career development.

I have decided I don't hold with the growth analogy for the very reasons you have all pointed out. Although I guess there are changing fashions in written and spoken English (*English teachers feel free to put me straight if I am too far off the mark here) but essentially I must be just a tad old fashioned but not as old fashioned as Chaucer! ;)

14. cuteinpuce

Would farmers or gardeners agree with that?

I think what "growing your career" suggests (and what "developing your career" doesn't) is an element of flowering of your talents and bearing fruit. That seems a fair enough metaphor to me.

15. needabreak

I'm not so sure, humans grow but not all flower or "bear fruit".

16. cuteinpuce

Isn't that the point? The advert is suggesting (rightly or wrongly) that it is a workplace where careers are encouraged to grow.

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Like vegetables?

needabreak likes this.
  18. cuteinpuce

In the case of teaching, more like nuts.

19. needabreak

It's also the sentence construction that sounds odd to me. Having just overheard Lord Sugar on TV refer to a business as an acorn ready to grow I can say that I see that analogy and it does't sound as odd as to "grow your business" which I think could/should perhaps read something like "facilitate the growth of your business" is it just a lazy sentence construction or is it a new fad?