1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When was the last time you saw...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

At the risk of sounding like a very old lady, I've noticed a few formerly commonplace items that are now pretty rare.
    When was the last time you saw...
    a cyclist with a light on their bike [​IMG]

a wire coathanger [​IMG]

a big 'proper' pram [​IMG]

or a cassette tape?

2. Ooh, interesting! I was reading somewhere else this morning about sounds that are obsolete (for want of a better word) now, that children will grow up not hearing - such as a rotary phone dial, clicks and dings on a typewriter, etc.
    Incidentally, I found a wire coathanger in the wardrobe the other day - think it came fromt he drycleaners.
    Saw a ';proper' pram in a charity shop recently too,, although I think there has been a resurgence in popularity of the big silver cross type prams.

3. I've seen a cyclist with the brightest light you've ever seen. We were walking round the lake here the other morning very early and he came towards us. We couldn't work out what it was at first because it was so bright.

4. You don't seem to see many Phone boxes around any more-maybe I simply don't notice them because I haven't needed one in years.
    In a cafe I like a biscuit with my hot drink but little packets of biscuits seem to have been replaced by Biscotti, waffles and all manner of enormous muffins.
    Oh and at the risk of revealing my grumpy old woman credentials I have not, despite the recent freezing cold weather seen a single young person wearing a proper winter coat, hat, scarf and gloves. Those hoodies can't possibly keep you warm, what on earth happened to winter coats? One of the local youths outside the chippy was actually out in that freezing weather in a T-shirt - I nearly offered him mine but thought better of it!

5. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

The majority of the children in my Junior school do not own a coat, winter or otherwise. Most of them walk to school in just their t-shirts and school jumpers. They occasionally add neon-coloured gloves if it's snowing.

6. I've seen cyclists with flashing lights .......odd.
    I have some wire coat hangers ......... I bend them about to make bird feeders - supports for bird feeders.
    I dont often see 'milk floats' now.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I haven't seen a mangle or a mincer lately.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

Quite a coincidence really: yesterday I went to collect a Cassette player that someone was freecycling (I still use cassettes in my classroom sometimes!) and had a discussion in the car with my son about the flashing lights on the bicycle we were following!
    I have wire coat hangers in my wardrobe.
    Pram - nah!

9. Cassette? A young NQT asked me what a record player was the other day!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I saw an AA phone box - a proper one like a police box yesterday up in the Lakes. There's also one at the bottom of Garrowby hill on the road to Bridlington.

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

obviously not an nqt with finger on the pulse - record players are back in, with the hip and young. (not that they were ever out in this house)

12. Yes Giraffe, I get angry with pavement cyclists who seem to enjoy being out in the gloom without lights - and cycling in black or dark clothes, with no refective stipes either. They often take to the road too, and if I knocked one off his bike because I couldn't see him, he'd not get much of an apology from me.
    I don't like wire coathangers so got rid of mine a few years ago when I was able to buy matching (sturdy) coloured ones (cream) in bulk. I have heavy duty wooden hangers for jackets and suits etc.
    I am Queen of Cassettes....I have collected some fantastic ones from charity shops (50p or three for a pound) and keep my cassette players at home. I have a cassette player in my car and always have a glove box full of 'sounds'. I was interested to learn that DJ Chris Evans also collects cassettes because he buys old cars fitted with cassette players. (I have noticed charity shops rarely sell cassettes these days...I think he must be buying them all up.)

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm a big fan of wire coathangers - they have all sorts of other uses, including removing car radios (legally of course).

As for cassettes, I bought a vintage Sony Walkman not long ago so I can transfer cassette tapes to computer, and we still have a few tapes knocking about. One of our cars still has a cassette player in it. In addition to that I've been transferring stuff of old Dictaphone tapes, Betamax video, and (soon I hope) reel-to-reel. I was given a USB turntable for Xmas so I can copy off vinyl. Plenty of old media formats in MSB Towers.

14. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I have loads of cassettes - I use them all the time at school.

I do see cyclists with lights but never one with a bell anymore. Why is that?

Can you still get Vesta curries?

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I saw a young woman with a big Silver Cross type pram last week - and looked twice to make sure!
    I've got a few wire coathangers.
    Some cyclists seem to have lights on their helmets or those that flash intermittently, but the ones I hate are those in dark clothes without any bike light, riding with both hands in the pockets of their hoodies.
    No cassettes though.

16. Wire coat hangers....yes, loads in the wardrobe.
    Big pram...yes, we have a wonderful Silver Cross in the loft that both our kids were trundled around in.
    Cyclists...no...we have non in the loft..lighted or otherwise.

Vesta curries...yes...had one the other night (only for the fried noodles though )
    Mangle and mincer ...yes...Mrs.B. deals in vintage/retro items, so we have these type of things in the house all the time.
    Cassettes...not really anymore :¬((

17. Milk floats...yes...we have quite a bit of stuff off Milk and more.

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

cyclist with light on their bike? ....Probably yesterday. Quite a few youngsters on this estate ride bikes, and they tend to have lights.
    a wire coat-hanger...a few weeks ago, outside a charity shop there was a cardboard box filled with them. And a sign saying 'free...please take away!'...it looked as if you would have to take them all or none...they were all twisted together like some sort of retro sculpture.
    a big 'proper' pram....a couple of days ago I saw 3...all in the back room of a friend of Mum. She collects and dresses life-size baby dolls, and they 'live' in three silver-cross (I think) prams!
    a cassette tape...ummmm for some reason I own a couple! But no player. Similarly I own about a dozen video tapes and have no player. ...one of my brothers offered to copy them for me onto CDs and DVDs but I refused - I am really funny about copyright. Our local charity shops no longer accept tapes, so I'm stuck unless I bin them or find someone who will appreciate the tapes.
    there is a phone box at the end of our street....whether it actually works I have no idea!

One thing I haven't seen for a while are bus-shelters...plenty of bus stops but no shelters.
    And hop-scotch chalkings. When i was a girl we carried chalk and 'lucky' stones around with us and every pavement was covered with hop-scotch lay-outs of mind-melting complexity.

19. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

We have a milkman but he doesn't have a milk float - he uses a pick-up type vehicle. I get the impression he doesn't have a right lot of customers though, but I feel I ought to support him. I always think of the milkmen and their returnable bottles as the first recyclers.

20. bumchuckle

bumchuckle Occasional commenter

On a holiday recently and the family were playing pictionary - a game we bought roughly 20 years ago. One of the items I had to draw for my teenager was a telephone box. Now I'm a pretty good drawer (cartoons anyway) and I thought I did a good job but she had no idea what I was drawing. The closest guess she made was Dr Who's tardis.