1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When was the last time you had a nightmare?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WaylonWu, Oct 15, 2015.

1. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

And do you think dreams have meaning?

colpee likes this.
  2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No, but I can understand why people think so.

Many years ago I went through a considerable period where I got bad dreams about being bitten by a dog. The dog, place circumstance and attack trigger were frequently different, but the main 'nightmare' was always the same -a dog biting my hand and me being helpless to stop it.

Then I had an accident that resulted in me being involved in a fire that burnt my hands quite seriously. Whilst lying in a hospital bed with hands in cream filled plastic bags and my fingers swollen banana-like, I drifted off to sleep.

I had the same dream and woke with pain and tingling in my hands; I looked at them and thought "oh that's what it is all about" - and never had the dream again!

Now I'm am convinced that my nightmare was some unsolved problem in the big grey database that got churned over and over for some reason- and once it got a 'solved' tick it was filed and archived. But I am equally sure that more superstitious minded people would have reverse-engineered the whole thing all into a 'warning' or foresight of danger to come.

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I had the worst nightmare I've ever had just a few nights ago. I dreamt I was going to marry Russell Brand (yuk and double yuk) but the wedding was highjacked by a youth theatre group who performed a Bugsy Malone-esque production in the church. I got pelted with ping pong balls fired from pop guns which cut my face causing me to bleed over my dress. I ended up at hospital to be stitched up and then called the wedding off. The nightmarish part was obviously the Russell Brand involvement, very disturbing!

bombaysapphire likes this.
  4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Not for a while. Sorry. Can't remember any details.
    Meaning is an interesting concept though . . . .like a stone has weight/mass regardless of whether you lift it or not?

It's all about interpretation, surely/

5. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Ah. Keeping in with the boring theme started by someone or other.

6. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

The last time....

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Sunday night. It was the most terrifying dream I've ever had.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

WW.
    2009., just prior to retirement.
    Depends on the dream I suppose.

9. WaylonWu

It's curious how you had the same dream while lying in hospital though, don't you think? Why couldn't it have been foresight? That you had it after the the accident could have been the mind's way of saying 'you see? It's now happened and it's over'. Hence never having the same dream again.

10. WaylonWu

That's a really bad one.

You could have been telling yourself what a clown the guy is.

RedQuilt likes this.
  11. WaylonWu

I think so too. If two people had the same dream it could have a different meaning for them depending on their circumstances.

kibosh likes this.
  12. WaylonWu

Worries about retirement? How you would adapt to it? What you would do with your time? It's an important stage in a person's life. The mind is bound to be thinking on these things while one part is asleep.

13. WaylonWu

I used to have a recurring nightmare over a period of 2 years about 3-4 times a year. I would be walking in a field and the further I got into it the more the ground would become sodden and mushy until halfway across the mud would be up to my knees making it very difficult to walk. It was a horrible sensation like being sucked into the ground.

I've no idea what triggered it or why it stopped. I was just glad it did! But i do think dreams have meaning especially recurring ones.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I used to have bad dreams about school...... I left teaching..... last night I had my first dream about my current job. Not a 'bad' one particularly, but I'd prefer not to be dreaming about work at all.

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Maybe you were struggling through a paddy field looking for your long lost ancestors.

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Not a nightmare but a very weird one. I dreamt once I was bouncing on a huge jam rolly polly pudding as big as a football pitch and a pink blamange with friends.

17. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Prevert.

18. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

@WaylonWu Do dreams have meaning? I think they do, not in any mystical sense but the subconscious can talk to you obscurely through dreams.

For many years I had regular dreams that always visited the same theme - a train journey going wrong. Sometimes I would be unable to interpret the timetable. Other times I could not get a ticket due to an interminable queue, or because I did not have enough money. Or I would get the ticket but just miss the train. Or I would travel on the wrong train, or the right train that would then not reach its destination; or the train would be so full I could not get on, or I would lose the people I was travelling with.

I noticed that when I got married, they stopped. These dreams were me telling myself to settle down.

WaylonWu likes this.
  19. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I can't remember the last time I had a nightmare. I often have dreams that leave me with a vague feeling of disquiet though.

20. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

I've never been able to remember dreams or nightmares once awake so I can't tell whether it is a dream or a nightmare that sometimes wakes me (or something going bump in the night)
    Which means I have no opinion on whether dreams have any meaning either

The publication of this post may be delayed and posts in the interim may not reflect the content