1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When was the last time you cried?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Findlotte, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Be it tears of joy or sadness?

For me, it was today - My beloved external 1TB Hard Drive has died and I've consequently lost 8 years of data. Naturally I'm upset more about the photos and memories I've lost rather than the annoyance of losing my digital music collection.

Perhaps trivial, but photos are invaluable and irreplaceable.

Before you ask where my back-up was - this was my back-up! My Desktop has recently been fixed and I hadn't transferred them back over.

Any recommendations for a new inexpensive 1TB hard drive?​

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It might be possible to get the data off of it, Quitoon.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I have always found it really difficult to cry. But the last 6 months has been exceptionally lachrymose. Big fat hot tears for hours at a time.
    Last time was probably in September.

4. Findlotte

Fingers crossed, a friend is looking at it tomorrow. I'm just preparing for the worst as the video I sent him of the noises it's making led him to say "Ah, I was hoping it wasn't that" haha!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh I do sympathise as my data-stick recently died on me! The one I take in and out of school to save taking in my own laptop each time. Foolishly I'd started saving it straight onto that instead of backing up on my computer or latop :oops: (embarrassment). Son did try but wasn't able to retrieve the data.

At least mine was just 1 year of data!

Now my external hard-drive is beginning to play up too, so have had to go get a new one and back up my files. According to my son they don't last that long. But I was disappointed that the smaller data-stick was quite new @ a year. Was relatively cheap, so it proves it's worth paying more money - my external hard drive was a more expensive and better quality buy, as that's 4 years old.

So my recommendation for 'a new inexpensive 1TB hard drive?' is the best quality you can afford! ;)

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Last Thursday was the last time and the time before that was the Friday prior to that. The worst thing was that I had to mostly hold it in whilst on very busy trains from London.

7. Findlotte

I've opted for a Samsung with 6000 5* reviews. My computer-nerd partner approves. I guess we've both fallen for the "back-up your work" issue.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Well i hope you are pleasantly surprised and delighted instead. It's horrible losing years worth of lovingly documented life events.
    Your post has instigated a wee discussion in the Kibosh household - we have 3 portable 1TB HD's, but they are old. I think we will get a new 3TB and back-up everything on that. Thanks from us for making us consider the possibility that HD's don't last forever, even if you hardly use them :)

9. Findlotte

I've done that before. Following a LDR break-up, "our" song came on my playlist. Painfully long trip home.
    Hope you were/are okay!

10. Findlotte

Silver lining and all!
    Happy hunting, they seem a lot cheaper than when I first bought mine, I suppose that's one positive.

kibosh likes this.
  11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Last time I cried? The day I fell apart in school, then in the doc's surgery, then on the phone to the union before finally going sick with wrs and never going back.

InkyP likes this.
  12. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Ten minutes ago, on finding out a colleague of mine from a previous school has finally lost her battle with cancer. A truly horrid thing to happen at any time of year, but now? :(
    Tears, and plenty...

13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Thankfully, I don't consider my external hard drives as 'portable'.

I use Seagate and have two at 1TB and one at 3TB. I put them down and they never move again. I then use 32GB datasticks and 16GB datacards to transfer data from sources to the external hard drives.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Neither do we. They sit in the same location, year after year.

*sorry to OP for adding to off-topic chat*

15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I cry a lot. Too busy feeling sorry for myself, not even experiencing something horrible like @Camokidmommy (so sorry to hear about your colleague). The last time was a couple of weeks ago when I realised my colleagues just don't want to hang out with me really.

16. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

: (

17. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

So sorry to hear that M. I was going to post something similar.

Hope you're feeling a bit better now. A few days away from the *%%* sleeping on the couch hasn't cured me but at least I laughed today as well as cried.

Look after yourself.

18. Lara mfl 05

I like my Seagate, which has been more durable. It has only ever been used to 'back up files, when clearing out files at the end of term, so my laptop data wasn't so bulky. But used it every year when adapting old resources and if I were to lose those . . . .Hence my new back up! ;)
    However a couple of times recently I've had the you need to format this disk before use message and that was what happened prior to the data-stick failing. (Stupid me for not noticing the warning signals! :oops:

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was cutting onions for dinner... so emotional.

kibosh and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Back to the main OP.

Me cry? Only today watching a sad film.

kibosh likes this.