1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

When to withdraw from interview

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cjg44, Jan 23, 2016.

  1. cjg44

    cjg44 New commenter

    I had my first interview on Monday and on Thursday received an email offering me the position. The director reiterated what the package was and advised that if I was happy with it to let them know and they would email me the contract. He also said that if I had questions to let him know and I could Skype to ask. I sent a Skype request which has not been accepted yet and also emailed the same day accepting the offer and saying I looked forward to the email with the contract. I have not heard back from the director or admin at the school and after reading some posts about contracts not materialising I'm feeling slightly anxious. I thought I might get an email to say they were pleased I had accepted the offer or some such thing to acknowledge my reply.

    I have more interviews lined up and was going to cancel but a colleague has said that until I have the contract I should still attend just incase the job falls through. This seems a bit dishonest as I have already accepted the position via email. I was hoping someone who has experience of international schools could advise on this please.
     
  2. davidbowiefan

    davidbowiefan Established commenter

    I don't know why you think you are being dishonest. Nothing has been agreed with the school at this stage and it would be foolish to withdraw from other interviews.

    Bear in mind that if they're in the Middle East, they won't be responding to e-mails on a Friday.
     
  3. lunarita

    lunarita Lead commenter

    About this time last year I received an offer by email, which I accepted. A few days later I received another email asking why I hadn't responded - for whatever reason they hadn't seen my acceptance. It could be something as simple but in any case do NOT turn down other interviews until you're absolutely sure.
     
    cjg44 likes this.
  4. cjg44

    cjg44 New commenter

    Thank you - the school isn't ME & would have been in on Friday. Feel like I'm being a bit foolish and possibly paranoid thinking the worst but I thought I would have had my acceptance acknowledged. Appreciate the advice.
     
  5. davidbowiefan

    davidbowiefan Established commenter

    I'd wait for their response, it could be there's nothing sinister going on and they have to do legal stuff or paperwork. But don't shoot yourself in the foot and cancel other interviews.

    May we ask what part of the world the school is in?
     
  6. cjg44

    cjg44 New commenter

    It's in Thailand - it is also quite a large school and they had a number of jobs advertised.
     

Share This Page