1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

when to tell work?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kmann23, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I've just found out i'm expecting and have my first doctors appointment in a couple of weeks. I need advice/ your thoughts as to when to tell school.
    I was thinking of letting my head know before the end of half term rather than the surprise in September. What would be people recommend?
    Cheers,
    xxx

2. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    Not very helpful but it's entirely up to you!! I was 8 weeks pregnant when we broke up for summer last year and didn't tell work until September by which time I had had my first scan and seen that everything was ok. I had an appointment with the midwife before we broke up but I think I lied and said that it was to do with my ears (if I said anything, I don't remember, my HoD was sensitive enough to not say anything even if she did suspect). I was glad to have had the summer hols to avoid the rumour mongering etc before I wanted to tell people!

3. Congratulations :)
    It depends how pregnant you are, I would have been 20 weeks by the time we came back which would have been really obvious and a bit rude I thought, so I told them a few weeks ago (I was 7 weeks, but was going in and out for scans and didnt want to lie about it).
    If you are only just pregnant, and wont be too obviously pregnant after summer break, then maybe wait?

4. I'll tell you what I'll be doing if it ever happens - telling my head straight away. Apart from anything else I've got to have IVF so obviously she will be wondering about whether it has worked or not. I would ask her to say nothing to anyone else though - I trust her so this is not a problem. I wouldn't let anyone else know until after 12 week scan.
    If you trust your head I would tell them straight away - this also gives them time to do your risk asessment. If you don't trust your head then wait until you have to tell.