1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to tell headteachers about pregnancy.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by natmour, Apr 19, 2019.

1. natmour

natmour New commenter

Hello everyone,

I've just found out that I am 4 weeks pregnant. When have other people told their work they are pregnant?
    I am worried as I am going on two residentials in the next two months and one of then is at a farm.

Thanks!

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

I told my head immediately and needed to because of HG and appointments. They do need to do a risk assessment ASAP too. I got a very comfy chair. It’s worth letting them know as soon as possible to make your life easier. It also depends on your school. Not all pregnant women are treat well in school. xx

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Congratulations! My head knew at 5 weeks although I asked for it to be kept confidential. I told the rest of the staff at 12 weeks after the first scan. I think everyone had guessed though because I also ended up having HG.

The farm residential staffing will probably have to be changed due to some of the risks associated with it. Best your Head knows sooner rather than later.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Head should know to keep it confidential until you are happy for other staff to know but nevertheless best to make it absolutely clear to head that it's not to be disclosed to any other staff at this time, you want it kept strictly confidential. There's some relevant guidance here:

https://www.gov.uk/working-when-pregnant-your-rights