1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to tell head teacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by skellig1182, Oct 19, 2018.

1. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Hello everyone,

Well I am a few weeks pregnant. I have a lovely headteacher and supportive smt. I’m wondering when to tell them. I know they need to do risk assessments etc.

The main reason I’m thinking of telling them earlier is because I know I’ll have the good support.

Is this too early? Should i wait? xx

becky70 and Rott Weiler like this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Congratulations!
    The earlier you tell them, the more time they'll have to plan, If they're nice they'll respect you for keeping them informed,

grumpydogwoman, nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

You don’t HAVE to tell them for ages - months. I didn’t really tell anyone before 12 weeks due to the risk of miscarriage, which is what put me off telling my head. But my first scan was accidentally arranged for an inconvenient time and I knew if I was pregnant no one would question a medical appointment, so thought I’d tell the, before that, so around 10weeks. I also reasoned that if anything were to go wrong, I’d probably need time off work in which case I’d have to tell them anyway.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree to inform your Head early will be appreciated, so they can start planning ahead, do risk assessment etc. but you could inform them and say you'd like to keep it quiet from other members of staff until you feel ready.

5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Congratulations!

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You're lovely. They're lovely. Let them share your good news!

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I remember a colleague telling us early, well before 12 weeks, on the grounds that if something did go wrong, she'd want our support. Do what feels right for you. Just be clear, if you tell your head but don't want colleagues in general to know, that you are crystal clear about that (and then make sure the head is aware when it does become public knowledge amongst staff).

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

Several key words such as 'lovely and supportive'. If this is truly the case, and I don't disbelieve you by the way, have a chat with your HT first and perhaps explain that until you feel everythings fine with your pregnancy, you would rather it not be common knowledge. Your HT will also appreciate that you have chosen him/her and not anyone else first, showing how much you trust them, and vice versa.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and dodie102 like this.
  10. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Congratulations! Could you tell your Head but explain that it's early days so it is confidential information at this stage.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

I told mine early because I was emotional and exhausted and they kept it from other staff. I was 8 or 9 weeks pregnant. Hadn't planned to but was well supported.

12. fairypenny

fairypenny Occasional commenter

Congratulations! When I was pregnant, I told my head and the person in charge of risk assessment early on, as I have health conditions that lead to complications. They kept it confidential until I was ready to tell everyone else.

13. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Congratulations:)

agathamorse likes this.
  14. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Awww thank you so much everyone!!!:) I’ll let her know after half term. xx

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.