1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to tell boss I'm applying elsewhere

Discussion in 'Primary' started by howlongtilhometime, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I have been at my current school several years and for various reasons feel it is time to move on. I intend to apply for some jobs before half term. When/how would people suggest telling my head about this? I obviously need permission to quote them as a reference, so need to do it asap but don't want to cause bad feeling.

2. I have been at my current school several years and for various reasons feel it is time to move on. I intend to apply for some jobs before half term. When/how would people suggest telling my head about this? I obviously need permission to quote them as a reference, so need to do it asap but don't want to cause bad feeling.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Don't tell them until you find a job to apply for. There is no reason to until that point. Just tell them you want to further your career by moving to a school in a different area, different types of kids, more responsibility etc. Be positive by saying you'd be very happy to stay if you didn't find anything that suited.

4. Agreed. You'll have to ask them for a reference, so as you fill in the application form is a perfect time to do it!