1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to start worrying

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by thisisnotanexit, Apr 10, 2011.

1. I'm currently finishing my PGCE year and am looking for jobs in London. I've applied to two so far (one rejected me outright, the only feedback being that they'd had over 80 applicants) and the other one shortlisted me but I didn't get it.

I'm starting to worry that I should be applying for more jobs and not so set on London. I really want to work there but would rather have a job elsewhere than none at all. The staff in my placement school are saying I shouldn't worry but vacancies seem to be dwindling and I don't want to be left with nothing. Several of my friends (same subject, also London) are also experiencing the same.

Realistically, when should I start branching out and abandon the London idea? Sorry for such an inane question, I'm just a little concerned!

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Don't panic yet as the peak time for jobs comes after the Easter holidays.
    There have only been 3 jobs come up in my local area in my subject so far and they were all in the fortnight before Easter break.
    Make sure you use the tips about applying from Theo and remember that jobs are advertised even in to the new academic year. My TP said that many trainees from last year secured their jobs in Autumn and January after they graduated so don't give up hope.
    It is competitive at the moment unfortunately. What subject do you teach? I am looking in Devon/Cornwall which is meant to be quite competitive but my current placement school advertised for an English and Media teacher and had 20 applicants and a Psychology teacher and had 5 applicants. I thought it would be much higher, but then for Humanities and Science they told me they had nearly 100 applicants for each. So I think that different areas of the country may vary with the subjects they get the most teachers applying for. Could depend on what the local TPs offer in terms of PGCEs?

3. GodOfBiscuits

GodOfBiscuits New commenter

The deadline for teachers to hand in their notice for this year is next half term.
    After then, you'll only be competing with other trainees because anyone currently in a job won't be able to resign from it to take up a new one.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Jobs are dwindling right now purely because it is the holidays! Stop worrying.

There will be a zillion jobs just after easter and then a zillion more just after May half term.

Unless of course you teach underwater basket weaving and there are only three schools in the country that teach it, then you might be stuffed. Otherwise relax and enjoy the holidays.

5. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

For my subject it is much easier to get an interview in London than it is elsewhere. For science jobs I've applied to in London always less than 10 candidates, in the North East ~100 candidates per job.
    If you've only applied to 2 don't worry yet, I had to apply to 48 to get my NQT contract last year. 19 so far this year... you just have to keep trying and stay positive.