1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to start up face to face again?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by langteacher, Jun 6, 2020.

1. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

The link you've put here is not working. I clicked on it and it says "Page not found" on the Gov.uk site.

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

3. suzette

I've checked the link you've put up and it's now ok. However upon reading it, the link you're referring to that was first published on the 19th March has been updated and relevant from the 1st June. Basically what they're proposing from the 15th June is:

"From the 15 June, we are asking:

• secondary schools, sixth form, and further education colleges to begin offering some face-to-face support to year 10 and 12 pupils to supplement their remote education, which should remain their predominant mode of education during this term
    • alternative provision to begin some face-to-face support with year 10 and 11 pupils (as they have no year 12)"
    I'm not sure this is going to go ahead now though, but this proposal is promising because if secondary schools & FE are opening for some "face-to-face" schooling, then this is surely the same/or similar to a tutoring situation? What do you all think?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ls-and-other-educational-settings-from-1-june

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

So it seems September at the very earliest.

5. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I think it's a totally different situation, going into numerous other people's houses or having them come to yours, and sitting next to one child for an hour at a time, is totally different from being in school and being able to keep your distance from students.

lorencanna and suzette like this.
  6. suzette

I agree with what you're saying. I guess people will have to make a judgement call, as there's no definite guidelines (nor do I think there will be regarding tutors) and what to do.

7. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I’ve had so many calls asking when I’m starting again. I’m wondering about putting up a table on my patio, and teaching outside, keeping distance. I think the 2m rule will be reduced soon.

ETA given that the people most keen to start are Year 6, I’m assuming that’s no different to them going to school?

8. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

This is in the information about settings. I'd say it's pretty clear. And it was updated 11th June. Other people have already posted it and I'd take this to mean the advice is to stay online.

Attached Files:

Kandahar likes this.
  9. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Sorry. I didn’t add that I wasn’t intending to start work now. I’m thinking things may have changed in the next month or so.

10. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Yes, I suspect things may change by July. I'm planning to stay online until at least September. I've told my parents I'll go back to in person when the schools are fully back.

7eleven likes this.
  11. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Honestly I think there will be a lot of demand in August. I will offer parents online but if they want to come to my house I will let them. It's not illegal, I need to earn a living and quite frankly I have had enough of these impediment on my freedom.

Kandahar, lorencanna and langteacher like this.
  12. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I hope you're right. Some people are pressing for next year's exams to be cancelled which would be catastrophic for tutors.

13. suzette

It's funny though how people were queuing to get into Primark, potentially spreading the virus & no social distancing taken into consideration; yet we sit at home in limbo not knowing what our future holds...

Kandahar and lorencanna like this.
  14. gainly

gainly Star commenter

We seem to have finished up with the worst of all worlds. Social distancing has completely broken down but schools and many businesses are closed or barely open. Millions of people have nothing to do except join mass gatherings and spread the virus.

Kandahar, suzette and lorencanna like this.
  15. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

That sounds interesting.

16. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

I honestly have to say, that personally, I would not go back to face to face now. Aside of anything to do with the virus, I just think I am more effective teaching online. Over this time, I have found planning has been more creative/enjoyable ( thank you wel lknown educational resource online site that sounds like shining star!) , feedback more detailed and working from home avoids horrible commutes ( which were often after 'work at school' and so in rush hours)

Obviously, things like handwriting are nigh on impossible to teach online and there are always the odd technical glitch. Other things were frustrating at first, not least of which, was parents contacting you at all hours of the day and night/work/home boundaries, but now in the middle of all of it, I have got a personal system going that cuts out the slog of driving to pupils' homes and is more flexible/time effective in terms of which hours I want to work and how.