1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to start up face to face again?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by langteacher, Jun 6, 2020.

1. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I'm just not sure!
    What's everyone else doing?
    Someone can come to your house and clean.
    Someone can come and view your house
    You can have electrician etc in
    I was talking to someone the other day who is taking his daughter to a guitar lesson over the weekend
    What are your thoughts? A lot of mine are adults rather than kids so do I just ask them what they're comfortable with?
    I can't see us being given any guidelines

2. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

I don't think there will be any guidelines for tutors. I think it will be on a par with a teacher, so encourage students to bring their own pens, pencils and cleaning before/after each lesson. I have had a couple of parents asking me when I will resume face to face (in my home, not theirs, as I feel I would be more able to monitor things).

I have a studio where I do my lessons (pre-covid) that is at the bottom of the garden and away from the main part of the house, so I can contain who goes in and out, also my back gate to get down to the studio is again away from the main part of the house so everything would be contained and cleaned after every lesson, so after speaking to my family, they're happy for me to trial it. My toilet (inside the house) would be out of bounds though & I'm not considering going to anyone else. I would consider doing my first one in a couple of weeks.

3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Honestly I don't want to clean between every student, I feel like zoom is working well. I have told my clients that the threat level should be 1 or 2 before we start back.
    Ultimately I am going to leave it up to my clients if some asked to come back for a particular reason then I will consider it.
    I am in the NW and the R is over 1 here.

4. langteacher

I am in the NW as well so I'm not in a rush i just wondered what others were doing as I really don't feel we will have guidelines

5. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

There is some information regarding out of school settings here https://www.supplementaryeducation.org.uk/category/news/ and look under government guidelines.
    I think this really covers tuition centres, but there is lots that applies to private tutors. Community faciilties such as libraries aren't open yet and indoor gatherings are being discouraged so don't think it would be possible for a while to resume face-to-face in someone's house. The risks of being quarantined if either the tutee or myself comes into contact with an infected person is likely to make things awkward for tutors too.

langteacher likes this.
  6. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Not for a while.
    The nature of tutoring face to face means you have to sit within 2 metres of teh student, realistically pretty close so you can see what they're doing else what's teh point), for over 15 mins at a time. This is totally different to having someone clean or view your house, who you can stay away from the whole time.
    I'm going to keep doing Zoom until the threat level is low and social distancing is no longer mandatory.

7. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I’m planning on continuing with online tutoring after restrictions are lifted. If possible I would keep all of my students online.

8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think I'll be guided by the students and their parents. I'll continue online until someone requests face to face. I do hope to be able to go back to face to face eventually as I find some topics, especially with complicated diagrams, difficult to teach online.

9. suzette

That's good, but although I find that Zoom is great, I'm struggling a bit as I have a laptop that is over ten years old so the view/webcam is terrible. (Meant to get a new one, really regretting it now and can't get one because all shops/online shops are out of stock!!). But aside from that I find that online tutoring has so much things that go wrong. (Eg: Connection issues, on both sides).

Also as an English tutor, it's hard for the student to do 'proper' writing, rather than typing. All the whiteboards on Zoom, Bitpaper etc are great for maths, science and all the subjects that require drawing or writing in small amounts, but for English, it's difficult. They do type things, rather than write and even though I do a lot of interactive stuff like quizzes and word games with the students, I often feel like I'm short changing them.

My mind changes daily!! One minute I'm saying to myself, yes I will do face to face & then the next, I'm thinking no!!! ARRGH!! I wish we could get some proper guidelines as to what to do!!

10. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

I'm definitely staying online until at least September. It's not possible to socially distance. When I've tutored online previously, they never went back to face-to-face, parents found they could do other things at the same time and they saved the travelling time. With a bit of luck they'll want to stick with things like this.

In terms of writing on screen, you can't beat a decent graphics tablet. I wouldn't be without it.

tuscanydays likes this.
  11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The government guidelines are that you can only meet someone from outside your household outdoors. You could tutor in the garden but you would be breaking the guidelines if you tutored indoors. You could of course claim you were following your instincts.

12. suzette

My studio is outside in the garden away from the house, but even so, I'm not sure, so I'll probably continue online. At least my blurry screen online hides all my wrinkles & makes my lockdown hair look a bit better than in real life! :D

13. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Most agencies have suspended face to face work until at least September.

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

In fact I believe that this might be even later.

15. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

Sorry about my 'the's!

16. I had a large private teaching practice with 16 students in and around Southport until the 2020 exams got cancelled. Most of my students were Y11 and Y13 (maths and sciences) the years that you would gnerally expect. There was no point in their parents paying me to go on teaching their children, so I retained some year-10s and a couple of Y11s whose schools were to conduct assessments later this term. As this was a financial disaster for me and my family, I wrote a begging letter on facebook and immediately got two more Y10 students hundreds of miles away, for which we were thankful.

I now teach on Zoom, which seems to be quite efficient on a fast machine, and i'm planning to get a Wacom writing-pad, a better microphone and a better webcam than the one in my laptop. As it's possible that many parents may remain unwilling to send their children back into schools while we still have this emergency, online tuition sessions may become more mainstream permanently.

17. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

18. langteacher

I teach a lot of adults rather than kids. I do mainly conversation. So I don't need to watch over anyone. However the 2m thing is a stumbling block for me due to the layout of my room I'm not sure we could be far enough apart

19. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Thanks for posting. The advice relates to people like electricians, plumbers and cleaners who can do their jobs without needing to come close to anyone. There doesn't seem to be anything relevant to home tutors who really would have to sit quite near their students for an hour.

doctoryes likes this.
  20. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

There is something about tuition on the gov.uk website it says:#
    1.13 Can I send my child to supplementary schools / community activities or private tuition instead?
    No.

Apart from those children who are eligible to return to attend early years and school, it remains the case that you should keep your child at home to limit the chance of the virus spreading. You should not use any in-person supplementary schools, community activities or after school clubs or tuition. We are expecting these settings to remain closed for the time being.

this is from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/closure-of-educational-settings-information-for-parents-and-carers