1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to start school?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by midgey, May 24, 2011.

1. Am asking this question on behalf of my daughter, I know exactly what I think! My grandaughter has not been accepted for the schools that they chose, her parents are now wondering what if they keep her at home and send her next year. Child is 4 and an April birthday, and an only child. Just wondered what every one else thought.

2. Am asking this question on behalf of my daughter, I know exactly what I think! My grandaughter has not been accepted for the schools that they chose, her parents are now wondering what if they keep her at home and send her next year. Child is 4 and an April birthday, and an only child. Just wondered what every one else thought.

3. I can only offer my personal experience of this...
    My daughter was born in June and she did not attend school until the September after she turned 5. She spent what would have been her Reception year at home and in a high quality nursery part time. We were lucky in that our primary school has mixed age classes so she started off with Reception and then gradually merged into Y1 towards the end of her first term.
    She was very happy as by then she was ready for school.
    My son is a little older in the year and by the time he started school the EYFS Curriculum had been introduced and Reception teaching was moving away from the more formal approach that had existed 3 years before when my daughter was 4. My son continued at nursery until Easter and then began school. Again he settled really well.
    I believe we did the right thing for our children and they have both thrived at school and achieved a great deal (both are now at secondary).
    Having said that I belive that the Foundation Stage is now much better geared towards the needs of 4 and 5 year olds. However my personal view is that chilldren still begin formal schooling too young in this country.

4. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Are they hoping that by deferring entry for a year, they will get to reapply and get your grandaughter into one of the chosen schools that they didn't get her into this year? Or do you mean they intend to accept a place at one of the schools they didn't want, but not actually send her until April when she is 5?

5. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

Your grandaughter will have to start school in the September after her 5th birthday (unless your daughter home educates her). However, she will have to go into Y1 and only those who know your grandaughter will know if this is in her best interests or not.
    If they are planning on keeping her out of school and re-applying for the schools they want, it will be unlikely that they will have spaces in Y1 because the reception children will take those. I wonder if your daughter knows her daughter will have to go into Y1.

6. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

What were your views, Midgey?

7. katycustard

That must depend which Local Authority you are in Mary, our LA will fund children for 15 hrs in nursery until they are statutory school age. They won't fund for full time though, which if the child was in reception they would have.

8. katycustard

I don't think a state nursery class or school could take an older child unless they had a space for them. 3-4 yr olds have a right to 15 hrs and they would have to take priority over an older child. I was thinking about where the nursery class/school wasn't full as is the case with us. We are not inner city but nevertheless not full!

9. I think that she should go to school, she loves company and friends and is a confident little girl. My daughtertells me that they have not been offerred any alternative place, the school where she attends the nursery and has made friends has a waiting list of 30.