1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to start looking / applying

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MissLHE, Dec 12, 2018.

1. MissLHE

MissLHE New commenter

Hi all,

I fear this might be a bit of a simple question with an obvious answer, but I was wondering if there was a better time to be looking for and applying for international jobs? (In much the same way that between the new year and Easter is a popular time for schools to advertise in the UK.)

I'm interest in applying to Europe mostly, but not saying no to anything yet.

Thanks!

2. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

From now until the end of March, tends to be peak time for job postings. Most schools ask their leavers to notify them before December, but a lot do not have to submit their resignations until the end of December. So you can get some vacancies cropping up in November / December, but then more should come in by January. It tends to dry up by the end of March, with maybe some jobs coming available April / May. If there are vacancies still in June / July, you ask yourself why that is? If you are still in the UK, join the agency, it's free.

3. MinusNothing

MinusNothing New commenter

Thanks for that, which agency are you referring to?

4. MissLHE

MissLHE New commenter

Thank you, Jessaki, that's very helpful! When you mention 'the agency', which agency exactly do you mean? As you can tell, I'm a bit of novice when it comes to the international scene?

5. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

I'll send you a PM, as I am not sure if I can mention them by name on the forum.