1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to set out apparatus in Gymnastics?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MsK, Nov 23, 2011.

1. MsK

MsK

Hi there. I was looking for some advice on what you usually do during a gymnastics lesson when getting out apparatus please.
    We have a limited hall space so what I usually do is have warm up and floorwork developing skills, then set up apparatus when it comes to that time but I have seen some examples of gymnastics lessons when apparatus is set out before the children come into the hall. They are just told when they can climb onto it etc.
    I'm going to be observed next week and was just wondering what would work best? I don't want to just set it all up and the children go wild because they aren't used to this way (which is bound to happen ha!) but wondering if I should just go for it.
    Any help/advice would be great.
    Thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you're going to go for it, I suggest you 'prime' the children in the classroom ahead to line up around the edge/by the door, whatever works best and carousel the activities with a time limit on each activity.

3. Just do your usual lesson. Have faith in what you do. It will be good.

4. Best practice is to do what you usually do, get the apparatus out as part of the lesson. I have heard of places where they have been criticized by Ofsted for having the apparatus out beforehand.

5. MsK

MsK

Thanks for advice. I think you are right, I just need to have faith in what I usually do.

6. I am sure you do a great job every day. Don't change that. If you feel the need to impress them, do what you do every day.

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I think children should be taught how to set out the equipment safely and so if that is what you usually do then go for it. To show them that you have discussed h&s aspects in the past you could always throw in a few comments highlighting examples of safe lifting etc...