1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to return to work

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by caramel86, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am currently due to return to work in January when LO will be 8 months. This was due to financial reasons. Now she is here I am considering stretching it to the full year when she will be 11 months old. I feel that I will get to see a few more of her milestones and won't be as devastated when I have to return to work. However, I will struggle financially. Do you think it is worth it? I am a single parent and I think I will find working with a LO very difficult, but I might also welcome the adult conversation, etc. Besides that, I have to work.
    I am after advice from your own experiences. Does finding good childcare make a difference to how you feel when you return to work?
    I am so confused and I am struggling to make a decision.

2. Hi
    I am currently due to return to work in January when LO will be 8 months. This was due to financial reasons. Now she is here I am considering stretching it to the full year when she will be 11 months old. I feel that I will get to see a few more of her milestones and won't be as devastated when I have to return to work. However, I will struggle financially. Do you think it is worth it? I am a single parent and I think I will find working with a LO very difficult, but I might also welcome the adult conversation, etc. Besides that, I have to work.
    I am after advice from your own experiences. Does finding good childcare make a difference to how you feel when you return to work?
    I am so confused and I am struggling to make a decision.

3. I'm also a single parent and returned to work when my daughter was 13 weeks old. I was actually let down by a childminder and my mum stepped in so I didn't find it too bad returning. She will go to nursery 3 days in september when she's 9 months and with my mum 2 days.

4. eek - this is a tough one - I went back to work full time at 8 months (financial) becuase we decided that LO wouldn't benefit in the long run. However, I can fully understand why you would want to be with them for longer. I am not a single parent but was main wage earner - didn't want to get into debt for having more time off. I was an absolute mess when I returned to work however by September when I went back part time I was fine.
    Good luck

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son was 7.5 months old when I went back to work. I went back part time so that made it easier, and he went to a lovely childminder, so I knew he was ok during the day.
    I took a year off with my 2nd child, and she was just over 11 months old when I went back to work. I was ready to go back to work by that point, but it made sense to stay off longer instead of going back and paying childcare for 2. They both go to a nursery now (he's 3, she's 13 months) and they really love it there, so again I don't need to worry about them while I'm at work.

6. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

I took roughly nine months off with both of mine and I went back part time. I think we were all ready for the routine and structure to be honest. I also think that children are less clingy if you return before they are a year. I've seen a lot of unsettled 'babies' finding it tricky for longer around the year mark. And I went for a really small familyish nursery as I didn't want one person having complete autonomy with my children - but that is a very personal choice. (I also avoided the flashy 'outstanding' *ahem* nursery further along the road which made my toes curl in all sorts of ways that rang alarm bells as a teacher). I digress. I am sure January will be fine for you all - and it is such a long way of that things will be quite different but then.
    take care and try not to worry, enjoy the time, it passes so quickly.

7. However, I can fully understand why you would want to be with them for
    longer. I am not a single parent but was main wage earner - didn't want
    to get into debt for having more time off.[​IMG]