1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to resign

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by zcsaa44, Feb 11, 2016.

1. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 Occasional commenter

I am unsure what to do and so thought I would ask advice.

I am currently teaching in a school where I am doing badly and want to leave, I have had a series of awful observations and have been told that I will be going through informal capability and then formal capability and the school will look to be rid of me by Easter unless I show improvement. Now I am quite aware that I could fight this as procedures have not been followed, for example not having been given any official feedback from observations yet beyond a debrief later that day but I do not really want to. I am actually looking to leave teaching altogether.

I know i may not get a job straight away so am looking but also look at supply, there is a lot in my area which should hopefully take me up till summer (need longer term as day to day is not secure enough as I am the main earner).

I want to be fair to my school but cannot decide if I should give my notice before half term to be polite, wait till the last day possible in the hopes of being in something more secure. There is still a nagging bit of my mind that says I should fight the capability but I am so stressed teaching where I am, more so than any school I have previously been at.

What do people think?

2. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

You need to talk to your union asap!

wanet likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 Occasional commenter

I will speak to the union but still want to be gone, I really do not think this is the school for me. Am going to read this advice as hold off on the resignation.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just be sure of the resignation dates . . . don't miss them.

Best wishes