1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

When to resign??

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hana54, Jul 15, 2015.

1. hana54

hana54 New commenter

I'd like your opinions please! I've just returned to work after maternity leave, part time. I am finding it very difficult to juggle being a mum and this job. My childcare arrangements have also changed, so I've decided it would be best to do supply for a year or so and supplement it with tutoring. The thing is, I'm extremely nervous about letting my headteacher know, as she was good enough to approve my part time hours and I'm worried she will be annoyed and it will make things awkward for my remaining time there.

When do you think I should resign? If I resign before the summer holidays it gives the head plenty of notice and more time to find a replacement (they are overstaffed currently so there are enough people to cover me anyway), but might seem a bit 'off' resigning so soon after I have come back. I would work my notice until December but because of my childcare issues, I would obviously prefer to leave as soon as they have found a replacement. Would it be better to wait? I am absolutely certain about my decision so waiting in case I change my mind isn't an issue.

Sorry for the rambling post! Thanks x

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You need to discuss this formerly with your head teacher to gauge whether they are willing to release you earlier than observing usual notice periods. I would certainly not worry about someone 'being annoyed' because you are making decisions about your life - Head teachers should be well equipped to handle staffing change and fluctuation.

One thing to bare in mind is that if you received enhanced maternity pay - the 12 weeks 50% salary part - then you do have to work at least 13 weeks (calculated pro rata if you have since returned post leave part time but were previously full time - e.g. 26 weeks if now working a 0.5 contract.) else you will be required to pay that back. Again, within that minimum agreed post leave return period the usual resignation dates apply but are inclusive of holiday periods.

3. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Thank you for your reply DaisysLot- you've given me some extra things to think about before I speak to the head. If I return for say 7 weeks, do you know if I would only be required to pay some of the money back?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The 13 week return period is a mandatory exchange for receipt of the enhanced maternity pay.

As I mentioned, do also bare in mind also that if you were previously full time at point of taking maternity leave, and return part time after that then this agreed return period will be longer to account for it pro rata.

5. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Thanks for this information, you've answered my questions also.

6. kimt1970

kimt1970 New commenter

I think your head will be understanding just do what's best for you and try not to worry about what others think.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016